Yamaha MX 825

pollishpickle

Threads
I have a mower with the new Yamaha MX825 engine on it. When I go to start it some times the started will come to an abrupt stop when I crank it. It may turn spin about 1/2 turn then freeze or it may spin 2 or 3 times then freezes. I have it in for service but the mechanic is stumped. It is a brand new unit. Has anyone else had a similar problem or know what to do

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Start by checking the valve clearances.

pollishpickle

Threads
I eneded up talking to a couple of other mechanics and they said that it should be fixed as I could twist the crank with the way it stops. Is this true?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never heard of a starter that can twist a crank. The reason it is stopping is that the starter is not strong enough to over come the compression that is created when you are starting the engine. The valves need to be adjusted under warranty.

pollishpickle

Threads
After almost 2 weeks in the shop they finally got around to it. They replaced the starter and now they are waiting for a new flywheel and something to do with the key couldn't understand that one. Hopefully they get the problem solved after they told me that there wasn't an issue with it they sure are throwing parts at it. I did end up getting a loaner so at least I can now mow what is starting to look like a hay field.

pollishpickle

Threads
They ended up replacing the starter assembly including the starter the flywheel and some other parts. They had to adjust the valves and the timing was off. I picked it up and it starts like it should and runs nice. I just can't figure out why they would let it be sold with these problems. almost a $1000 worth of parts and service.

pollishpickle

Threads
Well yesterday I had a different problem. When I started it it stuttered and backfired for a time before it finally settled down.