X300 Transmission - Buyer Beware

MSunday

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wanted to write to let everyone know of my experience. As many of us know it sure seems John Deere has slipped, badly, with respect to customer service and, candidly, quality. I’m from Iowa, grew up on farms and was always “Green to the bone”. Here’s what just happened.

In 2015 I purchased an X300 to mow a 1/2 an acre relatively flat lawn in Iowa close to JD HQ. I recently moved to Denver for work. So, I decided I should sell the mower as my lawn is tiny here. Well somehow the transmission is out. I mowed with it right before I moved and drove the mower off the truck here. The warranty is out but thre are only 80.8 hours on the mower. I repeat 80.8 hours! The mower is in MINT condition, never abused and solely used for mowing a well maintained yard. John Deere told me because I mentioned I was selling the mower they wouldn’t cover it. I understand not wanting to “refresh” someone’s mower they are about to sell but a transmission going out at 80.8 hours???? I should have bought an MTD type mower for $1000 and saved myself a couple grand. I didn’t want to believe my neighbors who work at JD when they told me “it is a totally different company now. John Deere is just a logo”.

Save yourself some money. Buy cheap and replace, or (and this bothers me to say) buy a Club Cadet or Kubota. They’ll last longer it seems and treat you far better. Just sad.

Btw, I have been very courteous on the phone as Customer Service Rep.s didn't build my mower or make the decisions. No reason to be impolite to them. But, I've been cutoff twice on hold for the manager. I'll try and post updates as I receive them (if there are any).

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you sure the transmission is actually toast. I've had my troubles, as have countless others, with that disposable hydro but this sounds like something different. I'd first try to jack up the rear end and run it some, maybe an air lock in it? You do have the rear release rod pushed in all the way, rock the tractor back and forth to seat the engagement shaft.

MSunday

Forum Newbie
Threads
I appreciate the response and suggestions. The dealer has it. Tells me the tranny is shot.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oh well. But not totally surprised either.

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Simple solution,,,they are orange in color (can't miss em) and called Kubota.

Regards

Jeff

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the mower is still in warranty then JD have to honour it regardless of you intention .
I can undersand them being suspicious of a ride on that only has 20 hr / year on the clock .
SO you need to contact JD customer support directly or your local consumer advocate.
Could be the dealer is trying to take you for a little ride or just does not want to clog up his service area with a warranty job at the busy season start .
Very very rare for a hydro to just quit working unless the pulley strips the splines , the belt comes off or the bypass valve opens