x-one mower

cruizerjoy

Threads
hi folks this is my first post. I'm looking at an x one and I don't know if they have been around long. does anybody have any time in the seat on one of these mowers? I currently have a little grasshopper 614 for 15 years! A good mower but nothing like the newer ztr. Thanks for any info in advance

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 2012 X-ONE, 60" rear discharge deck, 23.5 HP Kawasaki FX730V. It is primarily used for cemetery service. It is one fine machine, it can mow fast or slow and its slow speed handling and response is very comfortable. X-ONEs are heavy duty commercial machines, with possibly the best maintenance schedule of any comparable unit. Although they weigh over 1,200 LBs, the fuel consumption is reasonable. Where my machine is used, it takes 2- 2 1/2 ten hour days to mow the cemetery. The unused portion of the cemetery is 5 acres and is usually hayed by a local farmer. When he isn't able to hay the field, the X-ONE gets the job and does better at it than expected. I highly recommend the X-ONE, but if you have smooth and flat areas, then you may consider a Super Z or a Super Z HD as they have a faster ground speed. My dealer has sold over 200 X-ONEs since they came out, the bulk of them with rear discharge decks and delivered to the State of Connecticut for highway dept use.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

MRCo.

Threads
It's a nice machine, very solid and smoothe, great control, easy maintenance layout. Go try one, you'll like it.

cruizerjoy

Threads
Yes it does look like a great mower. I have looked at several different kinds ferris, bad boy, grasshopper, hustler , exmark, gravely, and husky. All nice stuff but I keep going back to hustler. Just seems like the best bang for the buck. My mom has a fast trak so I have been around the hustler brand. I just know after comparing I needed someone with real world experience to reassure me that this machine is as good as it looks. I really want to buy this mower if for no other reason the dealer seems to be top notch. Not that I would need someone to maintain the machine but it is peace of mind knowing you have good dealer support. thanks for the info guys keep it coming.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hustler has a method of tensioning V belts that makes V belt replacement and tension adjustments almost a pleasure. The hydraulic oil reservoir has the filter inside it. The engine is turned sideways which makes oil and filter changes very easy and not messy. Probably most impressive of my X-ONE is the way it handles while mowing around gravestones and with the rear discharge deck, it doesn't take long before the operator becomes proficient at close operation on both sides of the machine. I demoed five other makes in 2012 when I purchased the X-ONE and none compared. None of the dealers brought standup type machines, I was looking forward to trying one but I have become aware that standers are not well suited for this type of service as the deck cannot be easily raised up.
By the way, Excel Hustler invented the zero turn mower. I was a mechanic at a power equipment/boat dealer when a Hustler rep brought one by for us to check out, very different machines now but still the same basic principles.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
A buddy of mine purchased an x one last year after I suggested he try a hustler. His lawn is like a goat farm with steep hills. He also has a pond at the bottom of one of the hills. He ran his previous zero turn (jd residential) in it twice. He hasn't gotten the hustler wet yet, and it cuts great. Fine mower. I think once you get into commercial quality mowers all brands make fine machines, but I would put hustler up near the top.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
By the way, Excel Hustler invented the zero turn mower. I was a mechanic at a power equipment/boat dealer when a Hustler rep brought one by for us to check out, very different machines now but still the same basic principles.
I hear this all the time, but question it's a valid statement.. Was this before 1973-1974?????? My research indicates that Dixon holds the original patent for a zero turn lawn mower(Model ZTR-1) introduced in 1973 and put into production in 1974. Here is a quote from the my Dixon dealer and the information is confirmed on the Dixon website:

"In 1973, Dixon purchased a unique, patented zero-turn transaxle which delivered independent drive power to the rear wheels for ultimate control. In 1974, Dixon ZTRョ was born when the first model rolled off the assembly line. Homeowners could now experience the maneuverability of a zero-turn mower at an affordable price."

Unless Hustler(Excel Industries) was in production prior to that, they cannot claim to be the "first ZTR mower". Otherwise, can you provide any information to substantiate that Hustler was the first??? Model and production date??????

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hear this all the time, but question it's a valid statement.. Was this before 1973-1974?????? My research indicates that Dixon holds the original patent for a zero turn lawn mower(Model ZTR-1) introduced in 1973 and put into production in 1974. Here is a quote from the my Dixon dealer and the information is confirmed on the Dixon website:

"In 1973, Dixon purchased a unique, patented zero-turn transaxle which delivered independent drive power to the rear wheels for ultimate control. In 1974, Dixon ZTRョ was born when the first model rolled off the assembly line. Homeowners could now experience the maneuverability of a zero-turn mower at an affordable price."

Unless Hustler(Excel Industries) was in production prior to that, they cannot claim to be the "first ZTR mower". Otherwise, can you provide any information to substantiate that Hustler was the first??? Model and production date??????

Personally, I don't think it matters who invented the first one. I'm not interested in owning the first zero turn. It is a dinosaur by now. I'd rather have a new one lol.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Personally, I don't think it matters who invented the first one. I'm not interested in owning the first zero turn. It is a dinosaur by now. I'd rather have a new one lol.

I hear ya...and even though Hustler is one of my favorite brands I just can't help questioning misleading information:0)

I do find, however on the Hustler website the following statement regarding them to be "the first"(however there is no date and the picture of the mower does not look like the "conventional zero turn....the Dixon ZTR-1 does):

"Hustler Turf Equipment was born of a simple need - a mower that would maneuver the irregular landscape of the family home - complete with bird baths, gardens, and winding front walkways. The first Hustler was a compilation of mower parts and farm machinery, created by a genius named John Regier. Mr. Regier痴 mower cut grass and steered like no other. It could hug a flag pole or reverse directions at a fence line, with a turning radius of zero. With this, the world痴 first zero-turn mower was born.
And it changed everything."

Maybe contacting Hustler and Dixon directly may settle exactly who should get credit for the first production ZTR:0)

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hear ya...and even though Hustler is one of my favorite brands I just can't help questioning misleading information:0)

I do find, however on the Hustler website the following statement regarding them to be "the first"(however there is no date and the picture of the mower does not look like the "conventional zero turn....the Dixon ZTR-1 does):

"Hustler Turf Equipment was born of a simple need - a mower that would maneuver the irregular landscape of the family home - complete with bird baths, gardens, and winding front walkways. The first Hustler was a compilation of mower parts and farm machinery, created by a genius named John Regier. Mr. Regier痴 mower cut grass and steered like no other. It could hug a flag pole or reverse directions at a fence line, with a turning radius of zero. With this, the world痴 first zero-turn mower was born.
And it changed everything."

Maybe contacting Hustler and Dixon directly may settle exactly who should get credit for the first production ZTR:0)

Yeah, that's like Dixie chopper claiming to be the worlds fastest mower. Other than one model they make that is claimed to mow better than 20 mph, the other models in the class with different brands doesn't seem to go any faster.