WOW! A guy who refuses a FREE mower servicing

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have one neighbor that I get along with just fine. He is a little strange, but we somehow manage to get along just fine. He has hauled off some trashy items for me. I took care of his plants and also mowed his yard last year while he was on vacation. He gave me a really nice painting of a fox lying in autumn leaves that he, himself painted. I'd say we are really good neighbors.

I was blowing leaves today at the same time he was. We were both preparing to mow and both wanted to mulch up the last of the leaves. I stopped and walked over to him. We chatted for a few minutes and then I offered to do a full servicing of his push mower for nothing more than the cost of the air filter. I have plenty of oil and spark plugs on hand so the only thing I'd have to buy would be the air filter. I was standing there looking at the mower and I know it takes a $5.00 foam filter. I actually said that I'd like to do it so he could tell his fiends about my servicing. He looked me right in the eye and said, "No, I'm not interested in anything like that." So, either he doesn't believe I'm qualified to do the work, or he is a whole lot stranger than I thought. What really got me was when I then volunteered to sharpen the blade for him. He said, "No, I never have a blade sharpened. I just put a new one on every third year." WOW!

I know those type of people exist. I just didn't know I lived right next door to one. LOL!

Sounds like he's a decent guy. Just doesn't want to get too friendly.

ChuckBJr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have one neighbor that I get along with just fine. He is a little strange, but we somehow manage to get along just fine. He has hauled off some trashy items for me. I took care of his plants and also mowed his yard last year while he was on vacation. He gave me a really nice painting of a fox lying in autumn leaves that he, himself painted. I'd say we are really good neighbors.

I was blowing leaves today at the same time he was. We were both preparing to mow and both wanted to mulch up the last of the leaves. I stopped and walked over to him. We chatted for a few minutes and then I offered to do a full servicing of his push mower for nothing more than the cost of the air filter. I have plenty of oil and spark plugs on hand so the only thing I'd have to buy would be the air filter. I was standing there looking at the mower and I know it takes a $5.00 foam filter. I actually said that I'd like to do it so he could tell his fiends about my servicing. He looked me right in the eye and said, "No, I'm not interested in anything like that." So, either he doesn't believe I'm qualified to do the work, or he is a whole lot stranger than I thought. What really got me was when I then volunteered to sharpen the blade for him. He said, "No, I never have a blade sharpened. I just put a new one on every third year." WOW!

I know those type of people exist. I just didn't know I lived right next door to one. LOL!
You describe one of the running themes in the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". The main character rides an old BMW airhead with his friend who owns one too. Apparently they need regular valve adjustments and other things and the main character is perfectly capable of doing the work but his friend will only take his bike to a dealer. When people don't understand ANYTHING about these things it is just magic. The book goes on to explain how essential it is to break the systems down into smaller pieces and understand each system and how it interacts as a whole working unit (fuel, ignitions, timing, powerhead etc then break those into small systems choke, jets, fuel bowl......) if one wants to remove the "magic". The book has some other useful things between the main theme.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I had a customer earlier this week that had me to install a couple new front tires. 15-6.5x8 ones. A size I haven't seen before. Well I had to get some new valve stems as the ones I had were old age wise and both broke on install. So the mower had to sit overnight at my shop. Well the next morning there was a large oil spot under the transaxle of the X360.

So when the customer showed I explained he had a major problem with transaxle leaking oil. First he tried to blame it on me saying JD fixed last year for an oil leak and changed the drive belt. Well the drive belt look like it had never been changed. I offered to repair the problem but want to try to get JD to rework the mower under warranty. Well it was repaired last July so I very doubtful they will. He seems to think only JD can work on a JD mower. IT his money so he is welcome to part with more of it at JD then at my shop. Looks to be around $250 for the repairs in my shop and at least $400 at the JD dealer.

smhardesty

Threads
I had a customer earlier this week that had me to install a couple new front tires. 15-6.5x8 ones. A size I haven't seen before. Well I had to get some new valve stems as the ones I had were old age wise and both broke on install. So the mower had to sit overnight at my shop. Well the next morning there was a large oil spot under the transaxle of the X360.

So when the customer showed I explained he had a major problem with transaxle leaking oil. First he tried to blame it on me saying JD fixed last year for an oil leak and changed the drive belt. Well the drive belt look like it had never been changed. I offered to repair the problem but want to try to get JD to rework the mower under warranty. Well it was repaired last July so I very doubtful they will. He seems to think only JD can work on a JD mower. IT his money so he is welcome to part with more of it at JD then at my shop. Looks to be around $250 for the repairs in my shop and at least $400 at the JD dealer.
I know a few guys just like that. One of them is constantly criticizing my choice of auto mechanics. I have a guy that has been in the automotive repair business for just about 40 years. He has handled every problem I have had with my vehicles and he does my maintenance for me with me buying all the parts and materials elsewhere and taking it to him. My friend just goes on and on about how he'd never trust his vehicle to some "shade tree mechanic". I'd hate to think about how many times I have tried to explain to him what a shade tree mechanic really is. It just never sticks in his head. I guess he somehow feels more comfortable paying a dealership nearly twice as much for service on his vehicles. What really gets me is that the dealership where he takes his vehicles has a reputation for having nothing but really young guys working there. The dealership saves money by employing only young guys just getting started in their repair careers. I'm not saying the kids don't know what they are doing, but I will say I'd stack my mechanic up against the whole lot of those kids.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not saying the kids don't know what they are doing, but I will say I'd stack my mechanic up against the whole lot of those kids.
"The kids" are learning on the customers dime. Same as Harley Davidson. Shop wants $100 per hour to let a $6. rookie screw things up more..

Nice when they come to me from those bad experiences.

smhardesty

Threads
"The kids" are learning on the customers dime. Same as Harley Davidson. Shop wants $100 per hour to let a $6. rookie screw things up more..

Nice when they come to me from those bad experiences.
You hit the nail on the head. Yes, those young guys are learning at the expense of the customer. It's just not something I prefer for my car. I trust my independent mechanic with 40 years of experience.

smhardesty

Threads
I like doing my own stuff..
I used to do all my own maintenance and even quite a lot of my own repairs. A combination of my disability and incredible complex electronics on modern cars now prevents me from even attempting to change my own plugs. I figure it's best for someone that has the proper equipment to take car of the car. I'll stick to small engines.