Would anyone happen to have the old Foley Belsaw Courseware?

grumpygrizzly

Threads
  • / Would anyone happen to have the old Foley Belsaw Courseware?
I'm looking to get back into repairing small engines (Mainly Chainsaws, leaf blowers, weed eaters, that kind of thing) and while I know how to do most easily accomplished repairs, I'd like to get deeper into the mowers and motors themselves.

Foley Belsaw is in the process now of re-writing and updating the courseware and I've been in contact with them but, it sounds like it's only courseware and right now I can get the first half for $100, and the 2nd half for another $100 when he's done updating it.

I don't know if the Foley Belsaw course came with a motor or any tools back when it was going on before but, if they had anything like that, I'd sure like to know what they had.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Came with a Tecumseh push mower engine to tear down and reassembly, A flywheel remover/knocker, a flywheel holder if I remember correctly and maybe a few other small engine tools.

4getgto

Threads
I kinda remember $4-$500 back in the late 70's.
Included all text books, mis. hand and motor tools plus a 3 1/2 hp Briggs motor. Back then you had to send lessons back and forth.... No internet back then guys... U.S. STAMPS.
Still have all the books..

grumpygrizzly

Threads
Sorry for the late reply but, that courseware is exactly what I'm looking for. I sure wish someone else would come out with a course like that. Apparently they weren't making enough money or something so they closed the doors.

Another fine American Institution being replaced by cheap Chinese products and a throw-away society.

What really gets me is that from what I've heard, the VA will even pay for it for us old vets..

I've been doing drafting both manual and computer drafting for 40+ years now and I'm just getting tired of it. But give me a chainsaw that "ran last year" and make me a good price on it, I'll have it fired up and running and sell it for 10 times what I paid for it.

I even picked up a Stihl leafblower last year at a yardsale and when I asked the guy how much, he said, "It doesn't run, just take it." I dumped the fuel, pulled the plug and cleaned it on my wire wheel on my bench grinder, for about 3 minutes. Fresh 2 stroke mix, 3rd pull it ran like a new machine.. "

Gotta love finding bargains like that.

I've learned to stay away from that cheap Ryobi stuff though.. Useless..

grumpygrizzly

Threads
Still searching for those old Foley Belsaw manuals..

grumpygrizzly

Threads
That definitely looks like something I need to get my hands on. Prolly too late to get Santa to bring it to me but, I'll sweet talk momma and get it after Christmas.

grumpygrizzly

Threads
This is the book I used during my last years of teaching small engine repair. Looks like an updated copy. Found it very easy to use and for students to understand. https://www.ciebookstore.com/small-engine-repair-course
I know it's been a while but, I forgot where I posted this message. I appreciate your response but, it looks like that website isn't around any more.

Back to my search I guess.
It'd be nice to find a class in one of the local community colleges but, I haven't seen anything yet.

I'd offer to teach an AutoCad course in exchange for getting a small engine repair course.

I know, I know, I can make a lot more money drawing everything from houses to Intel Facilities (Ireland, Phoenix, Oregon..) but, I'm tired of the whole travelling thing and I want to use my 14'x60' shop in my backyard and set up an area for working on small engines. I've probably already got about 15 small engines that I've picked up at yard sales.

So far, the best deal I made was paying $20 for a Stihl leafblower but, I had to take two other Husquvarna leaf blowers with it. Took the Stihl home, pulled and cleaned the plug, dumped the gas, put fresh gas in and it fired up on the 2nd pull.. Got the 2 Huskys running as well for about the same effort..

I love yardsales.. :)

catbob

Threads
This might be what your looking for, yes?20230727_062408.jpg