worth keeping?

dwint

Threads
a guy gave me a 42 inch murry in decent shape but it does have some issues.mice got into the wiring and everything was ripped out but the solenoid to starter ,battery.i adjusted the valves and still cant get it to turn over with the plug in.the guy told me he was jumping it for awhile.i took the starter apart and the brushes look worn and it is very dark around the copper.it has a 17.5 briggs I/c engine and looks good.i can get a batt at walmart for $25.00 and a starter off ebay for $30.00.i would put a good 60 amp button to start it and I might be good to go.the trans is good and all belts are good.do you think its worth investing the little money and hope it works?im thinkink the starter was too weak to turn it over.

okiepc

Threads
Well for $55 I would give it a try but first I would make sure it turns over manually with the plug out & go from there. What does the plug look like? :thumbsup:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would get the battery and try it before I bought a starter if the starter is still intact.

dwint

Threads
it came with out a battery and I took the starter apart and it smelled and looked bad and what a mess trying to put it back together so I don't have a choice but to buy a new one.it did turn over when the starter was on but didn't spin as fast as I think it should go.im just hoping the cam isn't worn out releasing the compression

okiepc

Threads
You can get a compression gauge for cheap, it will tell you a lot. You can use it on most any gas engine.:thumbsup: