Worth fixing the Honda HR214?

chriswx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a Honda HR214 that was purchased in the early 80s. It has had a lot of use and the engine is still running strong. However, the self propel no longer works, so since I am not at all mechanically inclined, I brought it into a Honda service center. They advised that the transmission needs to be replaced, among other issues. So, the total cost would be $700.00 to fix and tune up the mower. Now, among my research on-line, I have read that the HR214 is "the best mower ever made" and that the new Hondas are not built the same.

With that being said, is this mower worth fixing for $700.....or should I purchase the new Honda HRN216VLA that the shop has on sale for $619?

Any assistance is appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The Colorado river is drying up and the east coast is seeing the worst floods in decades.
This is happening because we ( collectivly ) are pumping more pollutants into the air ( and oceans ) than the planet can tollerate
Every thing you touch has 3 types of pollution attached to it
1) Embedded pollution that was generated in the manufacture , distribution & sale of the product
2) operational pollution that comes from using it
3) disposal pollution that comes from the collection & disposal / recycling of the product.

You can strike a blow for the benefit of the planet by shunning the new product & repairing your old mower , car. fridge. air conditioner etc etc etc .
Your mower will run virtually for ever it is as others have told you the best mower Honda ever made,
Usually they fail because a pin which rotates against a lever wears down & wears the lever, both are replaceable .
If they are going to replace your transmission, ask for the old one back
Then we can either help you to rebuild it or you can sell it to some one who will
Mower shops rarely do this because the labour cost is way too high so will toss your old transmission in the scrap metal bin .
The real solution to environmental pollution is to make less stuff so we consume less stuff & toss away less stuff

dfbrown

Threads
Hello,

I have a Honda HR214 that was purchased in the early 80s. It has had a lot of use and the engine is still running strong. However, the self propel no longer works, so since I am not at all mechanically inclined, I brought it into a Honda service center. They advised that the transmission needs to be replaced, among other issues. So, the total cost would be $700.00 to fix and tune up the mower. Now, among my research on-line, I have read that the HR214 is "the best mower ever made" and that the new Hondas are not built the same.

With that being said, is this mower worth fixing for $700.....or should I purchase the new Honda HRN216VLA that the shop has on sale for $619?

Any assistance is appreciated.
We’ll my opinion is you have 2 choices. Fix the hr214 for $700.00. Great mower yes one of the best ever made. Or. Buy a new Honda hrc216hxa. Hydrost transmission blade brake clutch. Heavier duty deck handle bar and supports stronger engine. Bigger wheels 9” vs 8”. Hydro trans is butter smooth. Night of cut goes from 3/4” up to 4” instead of 3” on hr214/215. Newer mowers 100% mulch better and if you bag or discharge cut into smaller pieces. Either way your winning. Both awesome mowers. Hrx217 is a great mower too but if your gonna pay $1000.00 for a hrx217hya. Spend the extra and get a hrc216hxa. Either way you go your winning because there all great machines. Good luck. Btw I have and have had a lot and I mean a lot of Hondas with a lot of experience with them. Fantastic machines.

upupandaway

Threads
Hydrost transmission blade brake clutch.
I'm a nobody but I can say I have come accross a good number of honda mowers. 99% People toss them for 1 problem. If it doesn't work, the problem they all have is the self propel. Of the types of self propel, the 4 speed gear propel is OK. The variable speed type are the ones that are shot. I opened one to see why they died. As it works by friction plates, I say get the one with gears if u want one that lasts longer.