Working on friends scag

supertuner

Forum Newbie
Threads
My friend has a Scag not shure of model, it has a 25hp watercolled kawasakie he said it is a 99 model. He was mowing with it and the crank seal on the bottom of the motor went bad, he want me to fix it. Will I have to pull the engine to do this? He had the pto clutch replaced last year due to a false diagnosis by a small engine repair shop so hopefully it isn't froze on. How do I remove the clutch? Can the seal be replaced without disassembling the engine?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recommend removing the engine to do this job. Even with the engine oil drained out there will be oil behind this seal that will make replacing it difficult. The clutch comes off fairly easily, get a parts manual of this machine from the Scag website. The engine manuals need to come from the manufacturers website, get the specific model and serial numbers for both before you go on line looking. I guarantee that there are more problems with this machine than just replacing the engine lower crank seal. A liquid cooled engine needs extra care when rolling it over upside down.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

supertuner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mad Mackie, thanks for the info. What kind of extra care would be needed? What other problems would you expect? I know you from the cci forum

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The radiator is fairly delicate and is top mounted, so turning it over to work on requires lots of care and preparation. I've never worked on a liquid cooled vertical shaft engine, but I've seen what happens when a heavy object was dropped on one.
Yea, I'm Mad Mackie from several Case/Ingersoll groups!!

supertuner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. What other problems should I look for on the machine?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the info. What other problems should I look for on the machine?
Check the drive belt system, pulleys in general. With the torque arrester removed from the clutch and the electrical cable free, the clutch should slide off the crankshaft, part of it is keyed to the crankshaft. There is an airgap adjustment on the clutch at three points. Find the manufacturers manuals for it and make the adjustments with the clutch off of the engine. What model Scag is this? Is the engine a vertical or horizontal crankshaft mount?
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

bfcg

Threads
Picking and clawing will make a mess out of the seal unless you pull the motor apart and knock it out from the inside. Such a cheap part should be replaced as a no brainer. The clutch should drop off....Ha ha ha, according to a manual it does but not according to most people that have had to take one off. I am sure that it is supposed to and I am sure that I was just one of the many unlucky ones that had to do great battle with the clutch to get it off. Make sure that you replace all zip ties to keep the wires clear of the belts when you replace the clutch. I just did an engine rebuild and this stuff is all still very fresh in my memory. The drive pully is above the clutch on the shaft and I was able to tap a wedge between the drive pully and the clutch to slowly seperate the two. Only allow the wedge to make contact at the shaft! The pully and the clutch are both too delicate to support any kind of banging or prying. Good luck.

Last edited:

supertuner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. I am pretty shure it is a vertical shaft. He can't remember the model, but it sounds like a tiger cub.