Won't start

Leslie1925

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman rider. New ignition switch, battery, wiring harness and spark plugs. Turn the switch to on position and volt dial does not move. What should I look for next?

Forest#2

Threads
You ask what you should look for next?

Look for a tractor model number and the engine model, type and code and post the info on here. Also look for a Volt Ohm meter or DMM.

We can then provide you with some logical info.

RayMcD

Threads
Craftsman rider. New ignition switch, battery, wiring harness and spark plugs. Turn the switch to on position and volt dial does not move. What should I look for next?
Does the harnes have a fuse installed?

platefire

Threads
Me, I would be using my Multi-meter to trace voltage from battery, switch on to starter to see
where the voltage flow is stopping at. Your electrical schematic would be handy to trace that path

Cusser

Threads
Craftsman rider. Turn the switch to on position and volt dial does not move. What should I look for next?
A month ago I took my Craftsman LT1000's battery off its wintertime battery maintainer, installed it. After 30 minutes of mowing tumbleweeds, it stalled because some got stuck in the deck. After removing those, I could not get the starter to crank. I investigated, checked out continuity on the ignition switch, finally realized the the relay for the starter was not getting enough voltage for the relay to deliver voltage to the starter itself.

I finally fixed simply by removing the battery connectors and cleaning them up real nice and shiny for better electrical contact. So simple, after 2 hours investigating, and no parts swapping.

Leslie1925

Forum Newbie
Threads
More details? Mower model? Engine brand and model? "Volt dial does not move"... what's it connected to?
My mower model is 917-289700. Serial 031709B008030. Craftsman 24 HP, PYT9000. We have checked the safety connections under the seat and the clutch. Both are fine. When the key is turned to the on position, AMP meter does not move nor will it move in the start position. New ignition switch, new battery, new plugs and new wiring harness. Any thoughts on where to look next? Thanks.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
917.289700 Schematic Make sure you have connected the fuse wire to the correct side (Battery side) of the starter solenoid.
1717372409783.png

Leslie1925

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the diagram. Done what you suggested but no luck. I replaced the fuse but did not help. I did notice something this evening. Have a hydro transmission but the tractor will not roll freely. Only goes about two feet and then stops. Never had this issue before. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Forest#2

Threads
Do you have a voltmeter? (electrical tester)
or a 12v test light probe? Anything to check for 12v's. If not, get one and get back to us and we can give you some logical electrical testing guidance.

Bypassing safety switches for a test crank is not a good thing.

I've seen Hydro drives not roll freely if the engine has not been started in several weeks and work ok after the engine has turned the hydro pulley for awhile. I would think about getting the engine running and after it's been run awhile see how the hydro acts.