wont run, smokes like crazy

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Carb solenoid will not cause this problem. Their function is to close the main nozzle to prevent after fire when you shut the engine down only. They do not control the amount of fuel entering the carb.

SamB

Threads
Sorry Slomo I have to disagree. They give people a false sense of security and if they forget to shut it off the problem rears it’s ugly head again. I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen them on a unit and the customer thinks they solved the problem when they installed them.
I agree with the fix the issue. Just putting the valve in the fuel line and not fixing the needle valve is indeed courting disaster. If one forgets to shut off the fuel, one may also forget to check oil level before the start-up. Result is bye-bye engine. I did this as I tend to be forgetful and easily distracted sometimes. No forgetting to shut off the fuel with this.

Attachments

• Fuel valve 12v.jpg
    Fuel valve 12v.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with the fix the issue. Just putting the valve in the fuel line and not fixing the needle valve is indeed courting disaster. If one forgets to shut off the fuel, one may also forget to check oil level before the start-up. Result is bye-bye engine. I did this as I tend to be forgetful and easily distracted sometimes. No forgetting to shut off the fuel with this.
I always check the oil prior to mowing in all machines. An easy 12 second task is all. I always use a fuel shutoff on every mower.

Also replace or clean the needle and seat if needed. Only a few bucks.

Last edited: