Wont go into reverse- 917.289080

pahrump-pete

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just picked up this riding mower. It has no mower deck, but I want to use it for a utility vehicle. Forward works fine. The ROS is working. When I try to put in reverse with out putting the key to reverse the motor quits. But if the key is put to ROS the motor keep running, but the shift lever only goes half way and wont engage reverse. Thanks for your thoughts!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Having no deck I will chime in. There is a way to say bypass this reverse mow issue. Normally not talked about on here. Why, it's a safety issue. In your case do a little research with the words you just read.

pahrump-pete

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having no deck I will chime in. There is a way to say bypass this reverse mow issue. Normally not talked about on here. Why, it's a safety issue. In your case do a little research with the words you just read.
Thanks for the chime! I understand about not taking about bypassing safety stuff. I did catch your drift about researching it. I don't think its an electrical issue preventing it from shifting into reverse. It feels like something is blocking the shift lever from going all the way to R. There is a short steel cable at the bottom of the diff. It has a lot of slack in it. Does that cable have anything to do with shifting it into reverse?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
RS800 CVT transaxle.

These units are bad to have a lot trash to build up on top of the transaxle so that would be the first thing look for and to clean out. Should be able to remove the battery and its battery box to access the top of the transaxle.

Otherwise here is some other info from the GTI service manual
1687196024149.png

pahrump-pete

Forum Newbie
Threads
RS800 CVT transaxle.

These units are bad to have a lot trash to build up on top of the transaxle so that would be the first thing look for and to clean out. Should be able to remove the battery and its battery box to access the top of the transaxle.

Otherwise here is some other info from the GTI service manual
View attachment 65267
Thanks for that!

pahrump-pete

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just picked up this riding mower. It has no mower deck, but I want to use it for a utility vehicle. Forward works fine. The ROS is working. When I try to put in reverse with out putting the key to reverse the motor quits. But if the key is put to ROS the motor keep running, but the shift lever only goes half way and wont engage reverse. Thanks for your thoughts!
**UPDATE** I fixed the problem. Or my sawsall fixed it. There was a bracket in the way of the shift lever moving into the R position. I just trimmed off about an inch. I did try to bend it but it was too thick. Thanks again for your suggestions!