Winterizing and maintenance

A_tank96

Threads
A couple of things, what should I be doing to winterize by zero turn for the winter? and also, what can I do to extend the life of the hydros on the ztr. I already blow them off to keep them from overheating, but what about changing the oil?

A_tank

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
A couple of things, what should I be doing to winterize by zero turn for the winter? and also, what can I do to extend the life of the hydros on the ztr. I already blow them off to keep them from overheating, but what about changing the oil?

A_tank

A_tank96,
Minimum winterization would be to either turn off/disconnect(if possible and easy) the gas to the engine and start & run it until it dies from lack of gas. It's best to empty the fuel tanks if possible, but if not add some Sta-Bil or Seafoam stabilizer to gas that will be stored until next spring. It's also a good idea to dis-connect the negative cable to your battery and charge the battery every 4-6 weeks during the off season. And either now(end-of-season) or next spring before mowing(start-of-season) is when I do most of my "normal" maintenance, which would include engine oil & filter change; check/service/replace air filter(as needed); clean & gap spark plugs(or replace if needed..which I normally do every 2-3 years); sharpen & balance blades & check tire air pressure. On the Hydro drives, I would not consider that "seasonal" or winterizing maintenance, but is usually specified in the Owner's Manual(based upon the trannie manufacturer's recommendation). I'm new to ZTR's, but my new Gravely ZTR(has Hydrogear ZT-3400 trannies) recommends filter/oil change at 75 hours and then every 200 hours. Again, that will depend on whether your particular hydro trannies are "servicable" or not(some, like the HydroGear EZT series ZT-2100 & ZT-2200 are "sealed" units and cannot be serviced by the customer). I would recommend you check your Owner manual or ZTR manufacturer's website for guidance on the hydro maintenance. Hope this helps!!

P.S.
here's a link to another thread on the forums discussing winterizing. It contains some additional helpful advice.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/general-mower-discussion/12354-winter-storage.html

Last edited: