Winter projects?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
For those who are snowed in right now, what do you do in the meantime when not working (ugh) or killing time on LMF, or TBN, or whatever? I am in the process of cleaning up and rearranging my basement workshop (24X36) and building new lumber storage racks to keep my 8 foot long stock etc. off the floor. Built a pair of standing height 8X8 workbenches that are basically fastened to the basement sopport posts (round steel pipe) that hold up the center floor joist. Also rewiring the entire basement shop with 12-2 wire and a lot more outlets and installing a dozen 4 foot overhead shoplights.

Now I can plug in my drill press and 10 inch benchtop tablesaw and router, etc and not trip any breakers. Also doing new copper plumbing to add the 8X7 basement bathroom (in addition basement) for sink and Saniflush self-contained toilet, the outer wall of the bathroom will have a kitchenette with sink, I started the whole bath/kitchenette project two years ago, studs are up, wiring is done, drywall is up, 1 1/2 inch vent piping is spliced into the main venting system (what a headache doing that was) and once the last of the drywall mudding, taping, and sanding is done, I can paint and then install the Dri-Core underlayment, then the finish work begins.

Hmm...if my home office were not within spitting distance of the bathroom project it would have been done a long time ago...I seem to spend too much time on the computer when I should be working on the bathroom...but it's only a short trip to the upstairs bathrooms...SHHHH. :biggrin:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, JD, that's an impressive bunch of projects.

Here in Atlanta, we've had a rare full week of snow on the ground. For three days, transportation was seriously impaired and you can still see some snow seven days after it fell -- very, very rare. So I celebrated that event by doing an exceptional amount of dog walking. My German Shepherd Dog had difficulty on the ice at first but learned very quickly. The snow has been so much fun that I wouldn't think of staying inside all the time.

173abn

Threads
JD ,sounds like a heck of a project.I've been back on digging post holes.gotta do it with rockbars because I'm in an area of rocks.I tried my PHD on my tractor but no go.It takes me a total of 4hrs to dig and set one post but I see it as good exercise.also been getting my grasshopper all cleaned up and rustproofed and painted spindels etc.I bought a back blade for my Yanmar and got to use it last week with our first snow which was 10".I find it easier to blade than using the FEL.I learned on TBN to use a piece of plastic pipe on the edge of the blade to make blading easier.It don't tear up my gravel driveway as bad .also plan on getting my other shop squared away ,this one is an add on to my barn I built this summer and houses my grasshopper.I need to finish the outdoor with metal siding and put an automatic garage door opener on the garage door.also am rebuilding an old Evenrude 9.9hp outboard motor my buddy gave me.Won't be long to start wetting some fishing lines. russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
JD ,sounds like a heck of a project.I've been back on digging post holes.gotta do it with rockbars because I'm in an area of rocks.I tried my PHD on my tractor but no go.It takes me a total of 4hrs to dig and set one post but I see it as good exercise.also been getting my grasshopper all cleaned up and rustproofed and painted spindels etc.I bought a back blade for my Yanmar and got to use it last week with our first snow which was 10".I find it easier to blade than using the FEL.I learned on TBN to use a piece of plastic pipe on the edge of the blade to make blading easier.It don't tear up my gravel driveway as bad .also plan on getting my other shop squared away ,this one is an add on to my barn I built this summer and houses my grasshopper.I need to finish the outdoor with metal siding and put an automatic garage door opener on the garage door.also am rebuilding an old Evenrude 9.9hp outboard motor my buddy gave me.Won't be long to start wetting some fishing lines. russ

Plastic pipe on a RB edge...hmm, gotta search TBN for that tip...seems to me you could also use PVC pipe on a FEL front edge too. I don't use my FEL that much to push snow, our drive is half paved, ditto our neighbors, I don't like to dig into the asphalt...however, when plowing ahead in deep, heavy snow, I use the FEL set about 6 inches from the ground to break up the packed stuff, also use the bucket to pile snow up. I live on a busy rural road and am very reluctant to push snow across the roads when clearing driveways as there is usually traffic both ways.

LandN

Threads
redoing the family room... carpet, texture walls, paint, furniture,

AndyMan

Threads
We are mostly repainting, decluttering, sledding, and catching up on all the movies and we never have time to watch during the nice weather. Also framed out an access to the attic and rearranged some furniture.

And we've suddenly noticed that the drywall tape is coming loose from the ceiling boards in several of our upstairs rooms. Don't know whether it just now happened, or we just now noticed. Probably a little of each.

173abn

Threads
JD over at TBN on snow removal forum,page 2 ABS Plastic Pipe Snow Blade edge.I actually did use 1" pvc water pipe just because I had some.I cut the groove with my table saw,slide it on using a rubber mallett.I then drilled holes in the blade 1" from each end and one in the middle and wired it with rebar wire.It did really well until I was backing in to the barn and broke the pipe when it caught the edge of the door.I went to HD yesterday and bought some washing machine hose.repeated the process with the table saw.got it on and wired today.supposed to snow wed so will find out if the washer pipe works better.if not might try the ABS. RUSS

monica123

Threads
I have been purging like a mad woman! I have decided I have too much stuff and am in dire need of downsizing so I have been doing that room by room.

Kingwood990

Threads
My project is to get the 1974 MTD 990 running agian.
It is the same project as last winter but was finished in the spring. Then the engine lost a crankshaft bearing.

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
I don't have any projects going right now but I can say one thing for sure; I am so happy to not have to mow the lawn. It's a nice break when the grass isn't growing like crazy. I should really work on rearranging the house. I've just been so lazy :tongue: