Wife too weak, push button start gas engine-- Not interested in Electric Mower

Zedo

Threads
  • / Wife too weak, push button start gas engine-- Not interested in Electric Mower
I bought a Toro battery operated mower 3 years ago , I coudnt be more pleased. Batter
The CC600 is an OK machine for a particular need. If you're in the USA, the CC600 goes for $1,200 and should be in stores next month. So, $665 with free shipping is a bargain, or maybe not. I looked up my lawn tractor on that website and it goes for $1,260 vs $2,600 at HD. I also have a Honda mower that goes for $511 on that website vs $999 at HD. I also see they don't take credit cards. Makes me wonder. But, if it

Zedo

Threads
  • / Wife too weak, push button start gas engine-- Not interested in Electric Mower
I have a Toro mower ( 21 inch ) rear wheel drive that is battery operated over the years these battery operated hand tools and lawnmowers have come a long way.
Comes with a mulcher /bag/ option. I've had it for over 3 years and I'm happy with it, I have a little over an 1/4 acre to cut and the battery still has some life left in it
after a mowing. Thick gauge steel deck not flimsy at all. Light weight I might add. Might look it up if your interested. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-21...-RWD-5-0-Ah-w-Battery-Charger-21357/317276851 Here is another both the Toro and Ryobi get 4 1/2 stars, Maybe time to switch? https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-4...0-Ah-Batteries-and-Charger-RY401140/314600837

Last edited:

d2wing

Threads
My wife is too weak to pull-start our old mower, sold it. Bought a push button start gas mower from Home Depot with the Briggs and Stratton engine and battery starter. After using it about 4 or 5 times it refused to start even though cranking plenty fast. Just to be sure I charged it up. STILL refused to start. If I hand pulled it, it started fine. I putzed with this a few times and took it back; they gave me a credit for a new one. My plan was to buy some other brand of gas mower with a push button start. It seems there are almost none out there. I notice there is a Cub Cadet with a large than average cut width that has Cub's proprietary push button start on it. I am strongly considering that even though it is highly over rated for my simple small use needs. I just want her to be able to do a quick run through around her garden if she gets the feeling to do it. Money not an issue unless over $800.
Suggestions for some other brand engine than B & S on a decent mower?? THANKS!
I have an electric start Toro push mower that I have had for 4 years. It works great. Sometimes if it doesn't start right away I pause and work the throttle then try again and it always starts. I use premium gas without alcohol. I have had that problem on motorcycles with a weak battery. The battery may not have enough juice to turn the starter and energize the coil at the same time. Check the battery and the charging system, and connections.
I also have an cordless mower that is fine for small areas. It is not self propelled but is very light.

d19john

Forum Newbie
Threads
My wife is too weak to pull-start our old mower, sold it. Bought a push button start gas mower from Home Depot with the Briggs and Stratton engine and battery starter. After using it about 4 or 5 times it refused to start even though cranking plenty fast. Just to be sure I charged it up. STILL refused to start. If I hand pulled it, it started fine. I putzed with this a few times and took it back; they gave me a credit for a new one. My plan was to buy some other brand of gas mower with a push button start. It seems there are almost none out there. I notice there is a Cub Cadet with a large than average cut width that has Cub's proprietary push button start on it. I am strongly considering that even though it is highly over rated for my simple small use needs. I just want her to be able to do a quick run through around her garden if she gets the feeling to do it. Money not an issue unless over $800.
I have had this electric starter Honda mower for years, and it has performed flawlessly! It will, however, cost you more than $800.

Fueler

Forum Newbie
Threads
I realize everyone here is trying to be helpful but does it make sense to spend a few hundred more for another mower when the problem may only be a loose wire or a 20 dollar (hopefully) switch?

TonyPrin

Threads
I realize everyone here is trying to be helpful but does it make sense to spend a few hundred more for another mower when the problem may only be a loose wire or a 20 dollar (hopefully) switch?
I agree with you that a loose wire may have been the problem. But, given that he returned the mower, how would he know?

Fueler

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree with you that a loose wire may have been the problem. But, given that he returned the mower, how would he know?
ahh, ok. missed that little detail :cool:

Gord Baker

Threads
Check all electrical connections. You may need to replace Wife.

chuckpen

Threads
Maybe your wife is subtley trying to tell you something. :)

Can you just start it for her?

schreib69

Threads
I am curious as to which brand of mower this briggs is mounted on.
Since the Briggs starts manually there has to be a wiring issue somewhere with the instart feature.
It spins just fine but the circuit that fires up the ignition/coil has to be the source would be my guess. Bad switch? Safety switch? It happens. Got a voltmeter?
I would not condemn this just yet.
Can you find your manual with a wiring diagram here?
returned it last year to HOme depot, they refunded money with a credit card. Their tech tried to fix, and could not, asked for help with B & S dealer tech, could not figure it out. That is why they gave me refund. They no longer have corporate tech help, rely on dealers for all tech assistance to all customers from what I can tell. It's all water under the bridge now. . .