Why won’t my Husqvarna riding mower not go?

Elvisf16

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is sort of an interesting mystery that I’m hoping folks here might help me solve.

I have a Husqvarna YTH 24V48 that is a few years old. I went out the other day and it cranked up just fine, but it would not move in either direction.

The interesting thing about this is, last time I used it, about a month ago, everything worked fine. When I finished mowing, I pulled it under the lean-to of my barn, and a few days later my cat Henry and I went out of town for a couple weeks. During the time Henry and I were gone, some kind of rodent took advantage of Henry’s absence—he routinely patrols the barn and the area around it—to build itself a small nest in the mower’s cup holder. A month later Henry and I were back and I wanted to use the mower. So I went out there and noticed the nest, plus several piles of tiny black rubber shavings under the seat. Obviously a critter chewed up something made of black rubber and used it to build itself a nest.

I’ve removed the deck and crawled under the mower. I cannot find any obvious signs of anything having been chewed up. No remnants of a belt, nothing.

So, we have these condensed facts:

1. Whatever happened happened while the mower sat there. It was not any sort of stress-related failure while mowing.
2. Some as yet unknown black rubber item was chewed up by rodents and used to make a nest.
3. The mower will start but it will not move in either direction. It acts just like it would if the towing pin had been left pulled out, which is to say that the transmission is not engaged and will not engage.

The towing pin is connected to the lever on the transmission.
All the mechanical connections from the foot levers appear to be properly connected.

Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My guess is that your belt needs replacing, and/or the belt tensioner arm is froze.