Why Hustler have cheap v belt/ small business story

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You would be suprised how many supposed small engine mechanics don't know how to fix a chainsaw. They don't have the tools or even know how to do a vac and pressure test. I have seen some pretty creative hack jobs on saws and other 2 strokes. And yes, folks wonder why small shops get a bad rap.
Now I would have not ran across a JD Stihl that didn't know what the pressure/vac yet alone know how to do it. I had a customer Stihl Hedger that was under warranty the was racing so I took it to them for repairs. Needless to say they couldn't even find what was wrong with it. It was return after three weeks with a note that nothing was wrong with it. I took it out for a test and couldn't even start it. I started checking it and the spark lead was still off. Reconnected and started the test run, sure enough the hedger was still racing once it warm up.

Took the hedger back to my shop and connected my tach to it. When it started racing I saw that I had no spark. As strange as it seem it was running with no spark at half to full throttle. After repaired it, it ran find and I have not heard back from the customer in the last two years. They are my biggest commercial customer.

Take a guess at what hedger was a problem with hedger? And no it was not a defective coil. The coil was actually doing what it was design to when it seen rpms above 9500.