Export thread

Who uses sealants with gaskets and o-rings?

B

bartles

When reassembling and engine or components after a rebuild what are the opinions about using sealants with the new gaskets or o-rings? An example like
between the plastic intake manifold and the cylinder head with a o-ring type sealing arrangement? Should I use a non harding type sealant in the o-ring groove?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I usually put it back how the factory had it. just makes a mess if you have to take it apart again.
one of the few places i use RTV instead of a gasket is on Kohler courage valve cover gaskets.

B

bartles

Re: Kohler valve covers...been there!

B

bertsmobile1

Short answer is no, even when the factory used sealant ( transmissions excluded )
Blue Hylomar on the cover side of gaskets & bentonite grease on the engine side.
This means the next time the cover comes off the gasket comes off clean.
Nothing on O rings when they are a strait push like on a manifold
A tiny amount of rubber grease or silicon spray when they have to slide on.

B

bartles

Short answer is no, even when the factory used sealant ( transmissions excluded )
Blue Hylomar on the cover side of gaskets & bentonite grease on the engine side.
This means the next time the cover comes off the gasket comes off clean.
Nothing on O rings when they are a strait push like on a manifold
A tiny amount of rubber grease or silicon spray when they have to slide on.
That's generally what I have done. I grew up with either Permatex No.1 or No. 2. For valve cover gaskets I usually just used a silicone sealant on the valve cover side...let it sit overnight so the gasket dries to the sealant.

Thanks for the reply.

R

Rivets

If it originally had gaskets, I replace with only gaskets. If originally had sealant, I replace with sealant. Only exception, I will put a lite coat of oil on cork gaskets.

B

bartles

Thanks....sounds like a good plan!! I appreciate the feedback.