Who runs E10 fuel?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
To sum up E10 fuel, bad idea. Simple as that. Okay lets look into it.

Are you saving money using E10? Take our work truck, a 2018 Chevy Suburban. This pig gets roughly 12mpg average per the computer. That is your test mule. The same driver drives this thing. He reports 3-4 mpg better on 100% unleaded. Similar reports are all over the internet. He watches the current computer mpg to get these findings. This is just looking at cost and mpg. HP and torque is later.

So you put 1 US gallon into this fuel hog. One gal of E10 and one gal of true unleaded. The E10 test will only run lets say 8.5 miles till the engine dies. Other test runs 12 miles. So you buy another 3.5 miles worth of E10 to make the full 12 mile trip. Once you've done that, it's a wash far as the cost goes. So you have to pull over and fill up more. And the big loss of HP and torque which equates to the poorer mpg. Down to the science of it. E10 doesn't have near the same energy content as true unleaded, not even close.

What are you guys running?

somo

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
You're assuming there is pure gas available. Not in this area that I know of except possibly at our little airport, Avgass, maybe? I get what I get and run it in everything. No problems and our 2109 Tahoe has averaged right at 23 mpg since new on BP silver.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm in Ag country, so plenty of 100% gas available. And I have tested it to be sure.

That is all I use. In my '08 Chevy Truck it does well on 100% as well as does my mow equipment.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
There's only one place in my area according to Pure Gas website and that's out on Lake conroe, Not worth the time or sitting in traffic to get it...
Tractor supply sells the Tru-Fuel in the big cans.. but it's $$$$$.... I;d rather spend the 20 minutes it takes to take apart and clean my carb on the push mower or rider.
But i've never had an issue with a carb gumming up, since every fall i drain the entire system, gas tank gets dumped out and use it in the Mule. carb gets run dry, bowl took off and completely drained.
fill it up in the spring and 2 pulls and she's rearing to go.
But i would use 100% IF it were easier to get for me...

cruzenmike

Threads
Using my push mower, it would be incredibly hard to accurately quantify the difference in run time between E10 and E0. As for my vehicles, on this very day E0 costs 37% more than E10 in my area, and I do not think that any newer vehicle would achieve 37% better fuel economy by using that E0. I have a 2019 Equinox that for 30,000 miles I have averaged 30 mpg. Our 2020 Ram with 1,700 miles is showing an average of 18.8 mpg. I would have to average 41.1 and 25.8 mpg respectively. That is absolutely unobtainable.

Lastly, I calculated the cost of E10, using the appropriate amount of Ethanol Shield in each gas can still comes out cheaper than buying E0 gallon for gallon.

Because I don't care to have to keep stock of a separate fuel additive I simply buy the E0 for my lawn equipment and the cheapest E10 for my vehicles. Every 50,000 miles I have the dealership do a true fuel system cleaning and all is good.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your math has a flaw in many parts of the country. Around here 100% fuel costs about 25% more than E10, so where is the savings. Right now E10 is $2.00/gal and 100% is $2.39-$2.58/gal. Where’s the savings at that price. I run E10 in all my vehicles and equipment, but I never let any of them sit for more than 30 days. Off season unit get totally drained and dried out. I recommend 100% to customers would don’t know how to keep their units properly maintained, which keeps them out of the shop, except for yearly tuneup. They appreciate the advice.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I only use E0 in small engines, not vehicles. If any of the vehicles were seldom used, it would get E0 as well.

I've never said it's cheaper to run from a direct operating cost standpoint. But if it weren't for subsidies, it would cost more and if they ever remove the subsidies from ethanol production, the ethanol experiment will most likely end overnight.