Who is using non-detergent oil? And why?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
After another discussing, just wondering who is using a 1945 era oil in their shiny new 0 turn? Or any push mower lets say? Any lawn related anything? Any new car or truck anything? Any farm related engine?

slomo

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FYI all compressor motors should be getting non-detergent oil.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a genset ex emergency services that has an external oil tank because it is designed to run for a very long time
That gets the same Shelvsey 40 that I use in my total loss motorcycle engines.
IT has a side valve 9 hp Briggs
All of the old British motorcycles get non detergent oil unless I have upgraded the lube system to include an external oil filter.
All the modern engines get modern oil, mainly because I try to keep oil inventory to a minimum
So I have 44's of 20w50 detergent for the service vans
A 44 of sae 30 ( pink ) mower oil Detergent
A 44 of sae 10w40 mower oil detergent for all of the MODERN engines that use multigrades.
a 13 of sae 40 NON detergent for the motorcycles & generator.
And to add to the previous posts,
A lot of engines use centrifugal oil filters.
For British motorcycles it is inside the crankshaft and usually called a "Sludge Trap"
Honda fitted them as a stand alone on the small motorcycle engines till the 90's
A lot of the step throughs sold in Asia still run the centrifugal filters
Large stationary engines often have external centrifugal oil filters, particulalry those on large marine diesels

Castleford

Threads
I use detergent oil in motors with an oil filter, but I run non detergent oil in an old British Lister CS diesel that doesn't have a filter.
The contaminants settle to the bottom of the sump where they get removed at the next oil change.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a truck with a full bypass centrifugal filter. The only 'media' it had was a cardboard liner for the rotating drum. It wasn't necessary to use the liner, it just made cleaning a lot easier. I don't know how fast it spun but it took a couple minutes for it to spin down after shutdown.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Splash lube engines I use non detergent, or Manufacturer brand oil.
Detergent oil in engines with a filter.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use stens 30wt or 10w-30w in everything OPE.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Amazed I have been in the dark about this. But hey, we are human. Interesting thing is I use full blown detergent oil in everything I have. I have to get the reading glasses on and step into the sun to barely see my oil levels. It's like looking at water, very tough. I've been inside a couple engines. Nothing but a honey color on the lowest part or oil pan.No detergent chunks or anything that shouldn't be there. Just a clean oil pan. So am I harming my engines that have no filters?

slomo

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Amazed I have been in the dark about this. But hey, we are human. Interesting thing is I use full blown detergent oil in everything I have. I have to get the reading glasses on and step into the sun to barely see my oil levels. It's like looking at water, very tough. I've been inside a couple engines. Nothing but a honey color on the lowest part or oil pan.No detergent chunks or anything that shouldn't be there. Just a clean oil pan. So am I harming my engines that have no filters?

slomo
No. You can run modern detergent oils in all 4 stroke engines. An SJ oil with zink is what i prefer. Keep the oil changed at proper intervals and all will be good. I have opened probably over 100 engines over the years. I don't think any had nondetergent oil in them. As long as the oil was changed regularly they were quite clean inside and no wear issues.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As Hammer has said and as I have previously mentioned.
The most important thing about oil is the frequency of changing
The wrong oil changed very regularly is substantially better than the right oil left in for too long.
Vertical shaft engines do not have sump suitable for sludging, it is too shallow .