Who Is Minding The Forums?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Over the past few days, there has been an all out assault by spammers. I have reported several of them.
I’m asking the administration to do a better job at bouncing these clowns, in the future.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think 2 spammers have had over 100 post today alone.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It takes an aggressive approach to stop these jerks. On the forum I that manage I block email ad, username, and IP addresses. I have nil respect for these pests and all it takes is one spam post and they get barred. I also limit new users access otherwise and delete the Bots that are data harvesting.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The moderators do a good job
This is a FREE forum so there is no way some one is going to be watching the screen full time 24/7
That takes 4 people full time + one more for 6 months to cover holidays & sick days.
Thems is a lot of wages to cover & we already have a lot of adds just to cover the administration , registration & hosting costs.
Moderators who remove spam and spammers are volunteers .
The big problem is most spammers are from poverty struck countries where the 0.00001¢ they make for successfully implanting spam is the difference between eating & starving .
So the bulk of hem come from Asia & Africa
Asians spam late at night ( USA time ) and Africans spam very early in the morning ( USA Time ) because of their relative time zones.
South American spammers are fine because they happen during USA working hours and are slowly becoming more prevelent .
You can set a forum up to make it harder to post spam but that makes it harder for Joe Public as well and without Joe public posting problems this become a chat room and there are way too many of them already .

If it really urks you then apply to become a moderator .
You can never have enough of them
On the couple I run I only monitor the moderators to make sure they are not becoming subject to their own personal prejudices.
One in particular who has very strong religious beliefs will remove anything that he thinks could possibly be considered derogatory to his particular faith .
And we have a lot of members right around the globe so the mean time for spam to be on the forum is under 1/2 hour.

While we like to think that spammers are highly skilled highly paid professionals in reality the bulk of them are in abject poverty, often with a serious problem , like a blown off leg , that prevents them doing manual labour so they sit in front of old computers reading forum posts & working out how to post the spam that the billionairs who pay them get paid to implant .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I personally have no problem if we hung spammers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And I have no problems applying Islamic law & cutting the penis of rapist , the tounges off liars & the hands off thieves
But others consider this extreme

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert, Personally this forum set is for DIYers and the one I run is for the professional tech where we seldom use DIYer makeshift repairs. We don't sugar coat things or post things just to drive our post counts. We do stride for the accurate info to be posted as anyone benefits from it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It takes all of us to report these guys as soon as we see them. Plus reply to the thread, letting others know, especially if it is multiple posts or threads.