Which way to install connecting rod?

natem1270

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine: 33r877-0003-g1

I'm unsure of which way to install this connecting rod that I purchased from ebay. I don't see the match marks that others online have said to line up. I read that the "2" on the connecting rod has to face towards the PTO side. I just wanted to confirm because this is my first rebuild and I'm not entirely sure. Pictures of all sides: (using imgur because photos are too large to upload, will correct if this is not allowed)

Just in case it wasn't clear in the photos, one side says "8 AVS" and has what looks like a Briggs logo. One side says 20 31-33 and has 02 inside of the small circle. The edge of the rod reads "29 AVS".

Additionally, if someone could confirm that this engine is model series 310000 it would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Gumby83

Threads
[EDIT: I missed the serial number at the top of your post at first. Your engine is a 33 series, but the connecting rod will work. The only issue to verify is the orientation of the rod when it’s installed on the crank.]

Did you figure this out?

That probably is the right connecting rod (the 31-33 indicates it’s for that series of engine) but it could be confirmed if you post the full model number for your engine. (31xxxx-xxxx-xx)

I don’t have an exact answer for you on the orientation. Looking at parts diagrams for a 31 series engine, if the timing gear is on your left, the side opposite the bolt heads should be facing you if the rod was positioned vertically with it attached to the crank.

That said, if it’s not that difficult to install the crank, you could attach it one way and manually rotate the crank to check clearance before you close it up.

Last edited: