Buying Advice Which motor is the most durable Cub Cadet LTX series 46" cut

Threads
  • / Which motor is the most durable Cub Cadet LTX series 46" cut
I have right at 2 acres and looking for a replacement for my 42" 15.5 Kohler Craftsman mower. Cub Cadet has several engine options in the 1045/1046 lines, Kohler Courage v-twin,Kohler Courage single cylinder and the Kawasaki twin. I take really good care of my equipment as far as oil changes ect.. My Kohler Command 15.5 is 14 years old and still runs perfect but unsure about the Courage.I know the price goes up with each motor but does that mean it's better? I've seen Kawasaki motors on commercial mowers but is this a lower grade Kawasaki? I know every mfg has different grade motors...

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have right at 2 acres and looking for a replacement for my 42" 15.5 Kohler Craftsman mower. Cub Cadet has several engine options in the 1045/1046 lines, Kohler Courage v-twin,Kohler Courage single cylinder and the Kawasaki twin. I take really good care of my equipment as far as oil changes ect.. My Kohler Command 15.5 is 14 years old and still runs perfect but unsure about the Courage.I know the price goes up with each motor but does that mean it's better? I've seen Kawasaki motors on commercial mowers but is this a lower grade Kawasaki? I know every mfg has different grade motors...

You would be good with either engine. I have had two of the Kohler Courage, a 20 and 22hp V-twin. The 20hp had just over 400hrs when I sold it and the 22hp has real close to 800 hrs and I'm still using it and it's running strong. I also have and run the Kawasaki engines and there both fantastic motors. What Kawasaki is on the mower your looking at is it the FR model?

Threads
Thanks for the reply.Sounds like the Kohlers have did well for you. The model is a LTX 1046KW,the only specs I see is 21.5 HP Cub Cadetョ professional-grade Kawasakiョ V-Twin OHV,so I'm not sure if it is the FR,the dealers seem to push The Kawasaki models. I was looking at a Snapper SPX 22/46 with the B&S Pro series v-twin but by what I gather it is a slightly improved Intek,I have seen my share of Inteks that have bad governers,busted blocks,smoking bad but alot had to do IMO to improper servicing or abuse,the Snapper dealer said the Pro series was a slightly better than the Courage ect but he is a salesman and his is always going to be better than the competition.I suppose my old Kohler Command has spoiled me with trouble free service for 14 years,the only issue has been replacing the starter and it come stock on a residential mower which was used when I bought it.This will be my first new mower since 1995,I'm willing to spend $2000 but there are too many options,I'm not rich and 2 grand is alot to me.I know a residential mower is not going to have a commercial grade engine,heavy duty decks trannys ect but some are better than others,just trying to narrow down my options before spending money

Threads
I think this model does have the FR,is that a good motor in the Kawi series?