Which is it?

Bobby Boyd

Threads
It's unfortunate that manuals are written by engineers and people that build the machines and not by someone that has actually used and maintained them. For example, under lubrication section 7.1 it has lubrication interval for PTO spindle as "40 hours/Weekly". Which is it?

Also what grease are they talking about using. I can find one of the ones listed in same section. I have used lucas red tacky grease on most of my previous equipment such as aerator, spreader etc. When they say chassis grease what type are they talking about. Chassis could mean anything. Has anyone found this Lithium Mp white grease 2125 anywhere?

Thanks,

-bobby

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Bobby,
Most of the Scag operators that I know lube the spindles every 50 hours to keep in line with the other 50/100/200 hour lube schedules and I do the same.
As for the grease, it is not the same as the rest of the machine. Shell Alvania #2 has been discontinued and replaced by Shell Gadus S2, but Gadus S2 is not readily available if at all. Check your local Scag dealer to see what they stock that is an acceptable replacement. My local Scag dealer stocks Mobilix #2 and I will have to switch to it when I run out of the Shell Alvania #2.
Lubricating the spindles with a recommended grease is important to spindle life.
I have a 90 degree grease adapter that I use to lube the spindles which makes the job a little easier, but they can be lubed by a grease gun with a flex hose. The spindle housings have a vent hole opposite from the grease fitting giving you an indication when the spindle housings are filled. I have three different grease guns for my Scag, chassis lube, spindle lube, and collection blower bearing lube which is every 8 hours of operation.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

Boudreaux

Threads
When I realized I would not be able to find th White Lithium for the spindles, I to called my dealer. He stated "any high quality Lithium lube would serve the purpose, so long as the spindles were greased in a timely fashion".
Thus I began my research for a great grease.

665005002-M.png

I forgot to mention... This grease is Lithium Complex....

Bobby Boyd

Threads
Below is from Scag:

Scag Mowers commented on your Wall post.
Scag Mowers wrote: "Nope. The schedule is for commercial use. Grease them after you wash off the mower or if you are cutting wet grass to purge any water. My name is Chris and I put about 60 hours a year on my Scag. I cut in the rain and use my mower hard. I grease before winter storage and once every 4 weeks or so, which is 20-25 hours. That is overkill but only takes minutes and I am covered. Hit yours once a month and you will be sure to purge out any condensation / moisture (enemy of equipment like ours that is not used daily) and you will be in good shape. We have commercial guys with 5000+ hours on their original spindles. It is not uncommon. Grease is cheap insurance. Use common sense and you will be fine! If you are in a coastal area, grease a little more often due to salt water vapor. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. Again, thanks for your business. We appreciate it."

Bobby Boyd

Threads
I should have added that response from Scag was about greasing the spindles.

-bobby

Bobby Boyd

Threads
Another comment from scag:

Scag Mowers commented on your Wall post.
Scag Mowers wrote: "Side note on machines that spend more time sitting than working like yours and mine. Don't grease before use. Grease after use. That way while it spends most of its time sitting, it has fresh grease on the bearings as you have purged all the bad stuff out. If you grease before use, it will sit with contaminants on the bearings before it is used / greased again. It is an old mechanics tip a very good heavy truck / construction tech taught me a long time ago. Not sure that it adds a ton of life to anything, but it always made sense to me! Thank you and enjoy the best mower in the world....hands down. You own it!"