Export thread

Which is a better overall mower?

Madmax3089

Madmax3089

Hello, I have two used Toro mowers, and would like to know which is a better overall, more dependable mower. Both are Toro, Self Propelled, 22inch Recyclers. One is a person pace, quick change, 7.0 190cc Briggs and Straton engine and from what I can tell by the serial # from 2010. The other a 6.75. 149cc Kohler from 2014. Both have side discharge chutes, and bags and the self propelled feature works. Obviously, one is 4 years newer, but it seems like the 7.0 190cc would be a more expensive/better mower? IDK. I’d appreciate your input and thoughts. Thanks.

Mower King

Mower King

Hello, I have two used Toro mowers, and would like to know which is a better overall, more dependable mower. Both are Toro, Self Propelled, 22inch Recyclers. One is a person pace, quick change, 7.0 190cc Briggs and Straton engine and from what I can tell by the serial # from 2010. The other a 6.75. 149cc Kohler from 2014. Both have side discharge chutes, and bags and the self propelled feature works. Obviously, one is 4 years newer, but it seems like the 7.0 190cc would be a more expensive/better mower? IDK. I’d appreciate your input and thoughts. Thanks.
That's easy....the best one is the one that stays running and works / mows the best, since both are yours anyway!

tom3

tom3

I'd have to know more about the motors and the drive mechanisms to give an opinion. An I/C Briggs is a plus, the rubber tire transmission is a minus for example.

Madmax3089

Madmax3089

I'd have to know more about the motors and the drive mechanisms to give an opinion. An I/C Briggs is a plus, the rubber tire transmission is a minus for example.
The Briggs is model # 20332 and serial # 310007137 and the Kohler is model # 20370 and serial #314040400. If that helps at all.

R

Rivets

Both mowers are on the cheap end of the Toro line. I’ve serviced them for most of my career and have never liked the units with the Kohler Engines. That being said I would discount the age and always select the unit with the Briggs engine.

Madmax3089

Madmax3089

T
Both mowers are on the cheap end of the Toro line. I’ve serviced them for most of my career and have never liked the units with the Kohler Engines. That being said I would discount the age and always select the unit with the Briggs engine.
So, even though the Briggs is from 2010 and the Kohler is 2014. The Briggs is a overall better mower? In your opinion.

T

tipazann

We have a 22", personal pace, rear wheel drive, with the blade stop. The personal pace is the best feature in my opinion along with the smart stow. Pretty much walk and your own pace and mow with no effort and throw awesome mulching ability on top. Winner in my book.

Wazza65

Wazza65

I'm a Small Engine Mechanic and have worked extensively on both models and my recommendation would definitely be 7HP 190cc briggs version. The smaller Kohler version is also very good but I would choose the 190cc version. With 7HP your Engine will not be working as hard and that particular Briggs & Stratton has an Easy start system I think it is called and I have repaired many of them and rate them highly. My personal preference in brands from 40 years in the industry is Honda but they are quite expensive. Honda are extremely reliably and are pretty much the most reliable brand out there for easy starting. If just doing your own lawn, with the proper servicing Honda are as close to lifetime buy as you will get. Cheers.

M

MParr

I had a Personal Pace with the Briggs engine. The engine was fine and performed well. The drive system was terrible. I went through the original and replacement drives. I gave the blasted thing to a neighbor and bought a Snapper Ninja Commercial mower. That thing is 100% better than the Toros listed.

S

slomo

I had a Personal Pace with the Briggs engine. The engine was fine and performed well. The drive system was terrible. I went through the original and replacement drives. I gave the blasted thing to a neighbor and bought a Snapper Ninja Commercial mower. That thing is 100% better than the Toros listed.
Your grandchildren's kids will be mowing with that Snapper Commercial long after we are gone.

slomo

S

slomo

Briggs doesn't make the legendary I/C engines anymore. Wish they did.

Rubber tire transmission. You talking about the Snapper drive system? I hope not. That is the most simplistic and reliable transmission system out of any push mower. That rubber driven ring costs a whole 8 bucks to replace,,, about every 20 years.

If you were talking about the Snapper, what have you seen that is such a minus? Love to hear your comments sir.

slomo

M

MParr

@slomo
Yes, my Snapper has the old tried and true drive system. That is exactly why I bought it. I was done with those cheesy big box mowers. Toro and Exmark make commercial grade 21” and 30” mowers and they would be a much better choice than either of the ones listed by the OP.

S

slomo

@slomo
Yes, my Snapper has the old tried and true drive system. That is exactly why I bought it. I was done with those cheesy big box mowers. Toro and Exmark make commercial grade 21” and 30” mowers and they would be a much better choice than either of the ones listed by the OP.
I'm with you. I'll never sell any of my Snapper fleet. Have 4 pushers and one RER rider. Used to drool over Snappers when I was a kid. They were the top of the line best made mower you could get. I think it still holds true. Show me a better bagger on this planet than the Snapper Hi-Vac with the optional lift kit bolted to the blade. Good luck.....

Dad just bought a new Honda HRX217. He's not happy. Doesn't start easy. Mower dealer replaced the carb 3 times now with OEM Honda parts. It's starting to not back up like the huge post on here. I told him to get a Snapper. That Honda name is what got him.

Just can't beat the cut quality of a good ol' 21" pusher. Those 1500lb 0-turns rut up the turf something fierce.

slomo

M

MParr

@slomo
Ariens used to build a solid self propelled 21” mower. It had the same drive system as the Snapper.

F

fredeharle48

I searched high and low for a mower, with specific requirements in mind (see the non-Chinese mower thread). Nobody and I means online vendors, big-box stores nor local mom-and-pops had any quality residential walk-behind mowers in stock. Luckily, I was able to find a online shop here that had *one* model in stock that met my needs exactly: a Honda HRX217VLA (thanks for the tip, Andy!). The engine is made in the USA. And $20 cheaper than any listing anywhere, not that anybody had any in stock.

B

bertsmobile1

There is no such thing as a universal "Best " or even a better .
What there is are mowers that are better suited to your grass & mowing style .
What is fantastic for you could be a disaster for me .