Where does this part go???

IndyDave

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a bit embarrassing but as I was taking apart the housing on my FS 45 string trimmer a part fell out. I heard it come out but didn't see where it came from. :confused2:

Stihl FS 45 part.JPG

Anyone know what it is and where it goes?

Thanks!

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
It seems to be threaded but none of the screws that I took out have a small enough diameter to go in it. Or at least so it seems.

I was thinking more like a cable of some kind threading into it and the hole (unthreaded) has a bolt to the housing.

This could be very hard to figure out unless you can find a parts diagram.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do a search for Stihl FS45 parts manual, get the part number off the part.
They can get a little tricky to reassemble!!

Last edited:

deminin

Threads
It's a bit embarrassing but as I was taking apart the housing on my FS 45 string trimmer a part fell out. I heard it come out but didn't see where it came from. :confused2:

View attachment 26853

Anyone know what it is and where it goes?

Thanks!

This is the part which bolts your fuel tank to the engine. The "hole" end of this part mounts behind the upper left bolt holding the Rewind assm. in place, and the "threaded" part should be installed such that the the threads point to the back of the air cleaner asm...so as to be able to bolt the gas tank in place. I've had my FS45 and MM55 (cultivator) units apart a couple of times...both use the same engine...and this part is a bit tricky to reinstall. If memory serves, I've had the best luck by installing the rewind unit...leaving the screws a bit loose, then mounting the gas tank, and getting its screw started...then tightening everything up. Be aware, there are also a couple of rubber "Boots" holding the lower portion of the fuel tank in place, and you want to be sure that these boots are in place when you install the tank. You will also probably want to remove the air filter cover, and housing to gain better access to the fuel tank screw. It also helps to have a beer handy to take a break when putting one of these back together gets a bit frustrating.

IndyDave

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dood! Thanks!

Your description got me on the right track!

It's so awkward to hold the assembly and work on it, but after putting it into the jaws of my bicycle repair stand I could hold it in place, turn the whole assembly to access things, etc.

You were spot on with the advice, including the beer!

:biggrin:

I still haven't tried to fire the trimmer up, but that's a battle for another day.

Cheers! :drink:

This is the part which bolts your fuel tank to the engine. The "hole" end of this part mounts behind the upper left bolt holding the Rewind assm. in place, and the "threaded" part should be installed such that the the threads point to the back of the air cleaner asm...so as to be able to bolt the gas tank in place. I've had my FS45 and MM55 (cultivator) units apart a couple of times...both use the same engine...and this part is a bit tricky to reinstall. If memory serves, I've had the best luck by installing the rewind unit...leaving the screws a bit loose, then mounting the gas tank, and getting its screw started...then tightening everything up. Be aware, there are also a couple of rubber "Boots" holding the lower portion of the fuel tank in place, and you want to be sure that these boots are in place when you install the tank. You will also probably want to remove the air filter cover, and housing to gain better access to the fuel tank screw. It also helps to have a beer handy to take a break when putting one of these back together gets a bit frustrating.

deminin

Threads
Dood! Thanks!

Your description got me on the right track!

Glad I could help. There isn't a whole lot of info on these small engines, so it requires a bit of trial and error, and a lot of patience, to work on them.

IndyDave

Forum Newbie
Threads
Woot! :smile: The trimmer fired up! It was a little reluctant to start but once I got it warm it was humming along.

Somewhere in this forum someone said to "prime when it's hot (outside) and choke when it's not. Or something like that. Any thoughts? I did a combination of those before it fired up so I'm not clear on the best procedure.

deminin

Threads
Woot! :smile: The trimmer fired up! It was a little reluctant to start but once I got it warm it was humming along.

Somewhere in this forum someone said to "prime when it's hot (outside) and choke when it's not. Or something like that. Any thoughts? I did a combination of those before it fired up so I'm not clear on the best procedure.

Glad to hear your trimmer is working again. I gave mine a good workout today, too...trimming around the dozens of trees in our huge yard. I usually fire mine up about once every two weeks and I push the primer bulb 2 or 3 times, then give it full choke. It usually "coughs" on the 2nd pull, then I shut the choke off, and it starts within 1 or 2 more pulls. Having that "EZ start" spring loaded pull rope is a huge Plus...Stihl should put that on everything.