Where Do These Wires Go?

Abe Clark

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Craftsman 17.5 HP 42" Model # 917.273372
I replaced a Briggs & Stratton 21C707 0230E1 Engine with a Briggs & Stratton 31R907-0007-G1 Engine and I need help with the electrical hookup. The new engine has but one wire, looks orange, coming out of what I am told is a rectifier. It is terminated by the female half of a single wire connector. Where does that go? The only other wires are coming from the solenoid on the carburetor and although the new wires are terminated with a two wire connector, I can take care of them but I am lost on the rest. I have included photos as follows; 0944 showing solenoid block mounted in the right inside panel of the mower. picture marked with #2 shows rear of existing connector. Photo marked with X Shows view of rectifier on new engine with single (looks orange) terminated with female side of a single wire connector.. Photo Z shows another view of the solenoid.

Attachments

• 100_0944.jpg
    100_0944.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_0945.jpg
    100_0945.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_0950.jpg
    100_0950.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_0955.jpg
    100_0955.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 15

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The easiest thing for you to do would be to get the other side of that connector coming off of the rectifier, and then run a wire from there to the battery side of the starter solenoid or to the positive battery terminal of the battery with a loop connector on that end of the wire. It looks like the mower had the 6 pin connector so if the new engine has the 6 pin connector they should be just plug and play. I am surprised that the new engine doesn't already have the wire coming from the rectifier to the 6 pin connector.

Something else to check would be to stop by your local Briggs dealer and show them those pictures. They should have what is called a electrical repower kit, which contains all the parts to build the wiring harness to connect to your 6 pin connector on the mower. You may also be able to use parts of the wiring harness off of the old engine.

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
For some of us "OLDER-GUYS" those pics are hard to see ( too small) and don't cover enough area, ( that's because you're using a cellphone to take pics with ) , either RE-size your pics, or use a REAL camera, ( see examples below ) ......

DSCN1957.jpg...DSCN1963.jpg...DSCN1947.jpg

(click on pics to enlarge)

Abe Clark

Forum Newbie
Threads
For some of us "OLDER-GUYS" those pics are hard to see ( too small) and don't cover enough area, ( that's because you're using a cellphone to take pics with ) , either RE-size your pics, or use a REAL camera, ( see examples below ) ......

View attachment 40778...View attachment 40779...View attachment 40777

(click on pics to enlarge)

Sorry about the size of the pics, but usual complaint is that they are too large. Anyhow I believe that when you click on the pic, you get a slightly larger view and then by holding down the Ctrl key and using the scroll wheel on your mouse, you can make the pic as big or small as you want. Hope that helps.

Abe Clark

Forum Newbie
Threads
The easiest thing for you to do would be to get the other side of that connector coming off of the rectifier, and then run a wire from there to the battery side of the starter solenoid or to the positive battery terminal of the battery with a loop connector on that end of the wire. It looks like the mower had the 6 pin connector so if the new engine has the 6 pin connector they should be just plug and play. I am surprised that the new engine doesn't already have the wire coming from the rectifier to the 6 pin connector.

Something else to check would be to stop by your local Briggs dealer and show them those pictures. They should have what is called a electrical repower kit, which contains all the parts to build the wiring harness to connect to your 6 pin connector on the mower. You may also be able to use parts of the wiring harness off of the old engiine.

Here is what I was thinking of doing before I posted the original comments: One of the views shows the incoming red battery cable connection on the solenoid. It includes a smaller red wire interrupted with a single wire connector. The other end of that wire is connected back into the solenoid, so it appears to me that that wire is feeding power to that solenoid for distribution & that has to stay as a necessary connection. I also believe that that same incoming connection should have another wire coming off of it to go to the single wire coming out of the rectifier. Your thoughts on that.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry about the size of the pics, but usual complaint is that they are too large. Anyhow I believe that when you click on the pic, you get a slightly larger view and then by holding down the Ctrl key and using the scroll wheel on your mouse, you can make the pic as big or small as you want. Hope that helps.

I DID click on them, but your pics for some reason don't enlarge.