Where can you get the best gardening design ideas?

Arslan001

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Where can you get the best gardening design ideas?
I want to design my garden can anyone suggest to me any idea for gardening design ideas.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
local JC to see if they have landscaping classes. That or do a lot of reading on plants, and get your artistic side rev'd up.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Local library will have many volumes on garden design & landscaping
Also horticulture & permaculture
If you want a garden tomorrow then it will cost big money.
Hopefully your garden will be there for decades so allow yourself a full year to do the planning
Start with some soil depth & type holes + pH readings
Then pit in a dozen rain gauges to see how much water falls where ( not as silly as it sounds )
Draw your block out on some big paper very accurately including all services because a tree near a sewer never ends up good for either party
Use tracing paper over the top to sketch out your ideas
Put some markers down so you can take photos at the same place at the same times of day over a full year to assess the amount of sun & shadow over a full year.
Make sure all grassed areas between obstructions are approximately 2 times the width of your mower
Tress & bushes get wider over time & 2 runs with a mower is quicker & easier than trimming with a line trimmer
Use hard borders between lawn & garden with mowing strips so you do not have to trim with a line trimmer .
If you are putting in trees then you will need plan 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 because as the trees grow they will change the sun/shade regions , water availibility & the soil structure itself
You have not mentioned your age & age of family
Children need some rough & tumble areas that are in clear vision from the back of the house
Dogs need space to run , poo & pee
Remember you will get OLDER so making raised beds when you are young & fit will pay you back big time when you get old & your knees / back won't take hours of hunching over .
And decide what you want from the yard BEFORE YOU START as changing from a veggie garden to an adventure playground gets very expensive very quickly.
Also consider the wildlife you can even install some night vision cameras to see what comes in over night
Working WITH native wild life will drastically reduce the need for chemicals and the time you spend combating bad things in the garden.
Putting in frog ponds , lizard paths & bee habitat will reduce the work you have to do & can drastically reduce pests like mosquitoes , slugs , snails etc
I have possum boxes , bat boxes , bird boxes , frog ponds with tiny ugly native fish and lots of safe hiding holes for lizards ( snakes will also use them ) .
I don't have mossies like my neighbours do
Remember your garden will also be a home for everything else that flies, crawls, slithers, walk or burrows and trying to keep them out never works.
Nature always wins in the end .