when warm won't run

poloman

Threads
My father in laws Craftsman rider with a 25hp Kohler runs fine until it gets warm then just shuts down. Help?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Need a lot more info, before we can help. Does it spit and sputter first? Does it quit while running? Does it not restart after it gets warm? What have you tried so far? How much of a mechanic are you? We are good but don't have ESP.

poloman

Threads
Thanks Rivets...it does spit and sputter before it stops and it is an be restarted by choking it. I haven't you he'd this machine just going by what he told me. I am a fair mechanic but haven't done major engine repairs I can rebuild a carbon. I know what a feeler gauge is and follow direction.s well. I seem to be getting better in my old age.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have one that will run forever but won't restart till it cools off

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Both cases I would rebuild the carb. Carscw I would also check to see if I have spark. You may have a coil that shorts when hot, but will act normal when air is blowing over it.

Dave in Raleigh

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an 18 ohv craftsman lawn tractor. It would run 5 minutes and quit. Sometimes 1 minute and quit and sometimes longer and quit. I would wait a few seconds and it would start up right away (usually). I tried the vent cap thing, bought a new one. I bought a new coil, changed the spark, oil and oil filter, new air filter. Broke down and opened up the carb, no mess in there. So, I took the little black cap off the emergency shut-off solenoid valve (after a year of trying everything else) inside the carb, and guess what? It runs great. Frankly, I'm not stupid, so I really don't need this government inflicted nuisance.

lawngnome

Threads
Dave r u talkn about the selonoid on the bottom of the carb.

Dave in Raleigh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, that's it. Take the bowl off the carb, and remove the plastic stopper (at your own risk) and it'll run fine. or, you can replace the solenoid.