wheels still sticking- belt questions

briggs206

Threads
I posted a thread on my 10304 having issues with the rear wheels sticking while pulling it backwards. since then I replaced the clutch and rocker keys in the rear axles and replaced the belt. it still acts up. I operated it with the belt cover off and I found the belt still wants to spin the pulley with the handle released (and yes its adjusted to fully release the tension) causing the clutches to engage hence locking the rear wheels. the belt is 33inch but aftermarket. could this be the issue or is this a design flaw that needs modification to correct?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Absolutely yes, you should be using oem murray parts, not aftermarket. Post your full model & serial numbers, 10304 was not good number, as well as all numbers from engine.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is there another thread on this, so we might make sense?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
10304 is a good Lawn Boy number. My guess is that the drive cable has too much tension on it. Adjust the cable so that is slightly looser, by moving it closer to the handle. You should not have to move it more than a 1/4". Should solve your problem.

Threads
I posted a thread on my 10304 having issues with the rear wheels sticking while pulling it backwards. since then I replaced the clutch and rocker keys in the rear axles and replaced the belt. it still acts up. I operated it with the belt cover off and I found the belt still wants to spin the pulley with the handle released (and yes its adjusted to fully release the tension) causing the clutches to engage hence locking the rear wheels. the belt is 33inch but aftermarket. could this be the issue or is this a design flaw that needs modification to correct?

Yeah the check to see if the cable is to tight. If not then replace the transmission. They're pretty cheap and easy to install.

briggs206

Threads
i did adjust the tension, even so the trans cant release any farther forward. I cant believe no one has had this same issue on here. do I need a oem lawn boy belt and not the aftermarket one? im not putting a trans in it for this concern. I just put a piston in it so I have to draw the line somewhere.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
See if you can pull the unit backwards with the belt off. If you can I would put on an OEM belt number 92-1043.

Phototone

Threads
On Lawnboy mowers, the WIDTH of the belt, as well as the LENGTH will determine if it will work or not. Most aftermarket belts are too wide, thus they don't completely release. You need to use a narrower belt, ideally one supplied by Toro/Lawnboy.

briggs206

Threads
replaced belt with a different one that seemed thinner. problem solved!