Export thread

Wheelhorse

Grassbandit

Grassbandit

Pi9cked this old horse up a few days ago.
Kohler 8hp horizontal shaft engine has compression, tires hold air and it's not missing any parts, except of course the cutting deck.
My plan is to first of all see if I can get it running later today. If all goes well, then I might repaint it later on.
I've never seen one of these before in person, they're way before my time. So I'm getting quite a history lesson here.
DSC_0273.JPGDSC_0273.JPG

reynoldston

reynoldston

They are a well made tractor. There were a lot of them sold in this part of NY and anybody that owns one just seem to keep them going.

Grassbandit

Grassbandit

Trying to figure out the ignition system right now because I'm unable to get spark.
Kohler K181T Spec 304498

reynoldston

reynoldston

Trying to figure out the ignition system right now because I'm unable to get spark.
Kohler K181T Spec 304498

That is a very good question. That engine came with three different systems. Magneto with points and condenser, Battery Ignition system with points and condenser, and Breakerless Ignition with a trigger module. Very first thing to find out is what system you have? Kohler was good at mixing their ignition systems up and they still are.

Grassbandit

Grassbandit

It's got a pull starter, and I'm seeing wiring running to an ignition key.....hmmmm
I'll post a new set of pictures next so you can see exactly what I see.

reynoldston

reynoldston

It's got a pull starter, and I'm seeing wiring running to an ignition key.....hmmmm
I'll post a new set of pictures next so you can see exactly what I see.

The pull starter dose away with the battery ignition so you are down to two systems.

Grassbandit

Grassbandit

DSC_0276.JPG
Looks like something is supposed to be bolted up to those 2 holes. What is it?

reynoldston

reynoldston

View attachment 27700
Looks like something is supposed to be bolted up to those 2 holes. What is it?

I guess my eyes get little on the blurry side when I look at that picture:confused2: On the right side of the picture, its hard to make out, looks like a condenser? If this a condenser you would have a Magneto with points. If this is that system start with a new set of points and condenser for the spark part of it. Now the two holes I have no idea because of the unclear picture. Maybe a starter mount and if that is the case go back to my first post???? Maybe someone who works on older Kohler K series engines more then I, can give you a lot better information. You might want to try a antique engine forum.

D

DK35vince

I still have a 1978 Wheel Horse C 101.
Bought it used back in the mid 1980's and it still runs and works good.
Great little garden tractors

reynoldston

reynoldston

I still have a 1978 Wheel Horse C 101.
Bought it used back in the mid 1980's and it still runs and works good.
Great little garden tractors

Your Wheel Horse should have the K series engine. That engine was a real work horse and the engine used in the tractors that pull for competition seeing you can buy parts to modify them. They can get a good 50 to 60 HP out of one them. If well maintained you should get another 35 years out if it. The follow up engine is the Kohler Magnum.

D

DK35vince

Your Wheel Horse should have the K series engine. That engine was a real work horse and the engine used in the tractors that pull for competition seeing you can buy parts to modify them. They can get a good 50 to 60 HP out of one them. If well maintained you should get another 35 years out if it. The follow up engine is the Kohler Magnum.
Yes it is a 10 HP Kohler K 241
Its been a good one.

NorthBama

NorthBama

Kohler K181T Spec 304498
I have a service manual for K181. Send me a PM and I will send it to you

Grassbandit

Grassbandit

Just to update you guys on the progress I've made with the engine.
Checked it out today and still cant get a spark so I have concluded that the points and condenser set need replacing.
Thanks for all your replies and interest in my wheelhorse project I'll be sure to keep you updated

Grassbandit

Grassbandit

Got new points and condenser set installed and replaced wiring to the ignition module, fresh fuel lines a filter and spark plug and 2 pulls later she purred to life.
Sorry I had to put this on the back burner as other things took priority.
Unfortunately now the shifter appears to be seized so I've not been able to drive as yet.
If I can get that sorted out then its off to be painted.