What's the most efficient way of mowing lawns?

Jaques

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2009 little lawnmower I store in the garden shed and am curious as to the best way of cutting crops, shortening grass, and trimming the lawn in general.
All tips are welcome especially in these tough times.

-best regards, Jaques

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Tip #1 don't scalp your yard when mowing, it's not a putting green. and the roots need the shade from the leaves/blades of grass or else the sun will scorch it and kill it.

Mower King

Threads
I have a 2009 little lawnmower I store in the garden shed and am curious as to the best way of cutting crops, shortening grass, and trimming the lawn in general.
All tips are welcome especially in these tough times.

-best regards, Jaques
Start it up....and go for it!

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
try not to walk around on the area you plan to mow immediately beforehand. Helps avoid too many 'stragglers'/'flags' standing up afterwards.

Sharpen and balance the mower's blade.

perhaps depending on your type of grass, location, and desires for your lawn, the advice above about cutting 'tall' is good. Helps assure blades are not having more than 1/3 their length removed, the grass shades its own roots, and weed seeds have more difficulty reaching the soil to germinate. Tall is probably over 3" for most types of grass. Probably the highest or next-to-highest setting for many mowers.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not sure I understand the question or what a "little lawnmower" is, but here goes. I always cut in around the edges first in a clockwise direction, discharging inwards. If they're nearby I'll also cut in around obstacles. I usually do 2 laps. This keeps from throwing clippings in border beds, onto the sidewalk and into the driveway and road etc. If I have a property with a wooded edge and there are leaves on the lawn I may do the second lap going counter-clockwise to throw the leaves into the woods. Then I pick a direction of cut and line up with a feature and head straight at it. Then I go back and forth and do my turns in the border that I cut. For trimming I start go around any buildings first, going counterclockwise (I use straight shaft trimmers - reverse for bend shaft trimmers).

Richie F

Threads
Or my signature. :)
If the area is square cut from corner to corner.
Remember this formula ?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Walk the area first. Pick up any log chains, barbed wire, kids toys and old cars prior to mowing. Don't forget all the dog poop from your kind neighbor's dogs.

slomo

Last edited: