what's the deal with standers?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Toro Grandstand 52" and I'll say you made a good call by not getting a stand-on mower. For all the reasons listed above and the fact that you can get a walk behind with a sulky and go 7 mph vs 8 mph on a stander. I prefer walk behinds because they work better on hillsides and are just as productive as a stander. I don't care what the numbers on a chart say about a standers productivity I have both and a walk behind will out perform the stander even with a smaller deck. I don't live in Florida where most lawns are flat I'm in southeast Tennessee where terrain varies and you need a piece of equipment that can handle it. I currently run all 52" mowers in my small fleet but I'm going to go back to using 48" mowers next year due to the way the flow with the undulating terrain better. I know it's just 4" but I can see a difference. Going to go back to a 48" Exmark turf tracers and going to demo a Exmark navigator 48" to see if I like it or not. If not then I'll get a Exmark 48" laser z with a collection system and of course keep my 21". But then again this is just what works best for me in my area.

Also I have noticed that even though it cost more to collect the clippings no one seems to mind the extra cost due to not only leaving the lawn looking cleaner but not having a much debris to track back into the house when out walking in the yard or letting their inside pets out to potty and not track as much dirt back into the house. And my lord how people love their pets around here.

You'll have to forgive me if I disagree. You apparently have had an issue or bad experience with the Grandstand Mower but just because it doesn't work for you doesn't make it a poor choice for everyone. You apparently are under the impression that Florida is all flat and you are wrong in that respect. It all comes down to who is using what machine as to how well it performs and it's productivity.

zmister11

Threads
You'll have to forgive me if I disagree. You apparently have had an issue or bad experience with the Grandstand Mower but just because it doesn't work for you doesn't make it a poor choice for everyone. You apparently are under the impression that Florida is all flat and you are wrong in that respect. It all comes down to who is using what machine as to how well it performs and it's productivity.

Yeah I agree.I had a walk behind before I got my stander. And my stander is by far a faster machine.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah I agree.I had a walk behind before I got my stander. And my stander is by far a faster machine.

Yeah I had a walk behind I ran for a couple of years when I first started the business and it was a good mower but it no where near the stander.

LoCo86

Threads

If I were just riding the mower around on football fields all day I would love it but when using this mower on undulating terrain the deck does not float and not only does it scalp but it will just dig a hole in the ground. I'm sure you don't have this problem with a 36" because of the width of the deck. I've seen a lot of Florida. Even have family that lives there, so I've seen how mountainous and how steep the slopes in Florida are.

sirrobbins

Threads
I didn't like the stander and tried another one out today on an actual lawn. I just don't feel as secure with them and don't like the control grips as I stayed away from t-bars and curved grips when I had a walk behind. Just not my thing. I'm happy with my Z Master though. Took her to a big property today and made me happy I bought a rider with a suspension seat.