What tools are essential for lawn care?

GearHead36

Threads
Walter Reeves is a well known gardener in the Atlanta area, and he used to have a newspaper column back when newspaper columns were a thing. Someone once asked him about his lawncare program. His main thing... mowing. He recommended mowing frequently. The rule of thumb is to mow to the best height for your grass, and never mow more than 1/3 of the length. So, say, you want to mow to 2", you should mow when the grass gets to 3". This does more for your lawn than fertilizing, but only mowing once a month. Mowing often gives the grass the best chance of out competing the weeds.

You didn't mention the size of your yard. For a mower, I'd get whatever I would actually use to do the job. So, say, you have a large yard that takes 3 hrs to mow with a push mower, and as a result, you don't mow as often as you should... get a bigger mower, or a riding mower, and mow more often. A push mower IS good exercise, but only if you use it. IMO, it's a good idea to get a mower that is suited for your yard. One time I replaced a riding mower with a self-propelled push mower because the front yard was so sloped that the push mower didn't take any longer, and took up less storage space. When I moved to my current property, I got a 54" ZTR which still takes 1.5 hrs to mow my yard. A push mower would take 4 hrs or so. Whenever I move to a new house, I usually replace my mower with one that is better suited for that yard.

Someone recommended a Stihl or Craftsman week wacker. I'd recommend Echo over both of those, and especially Craftsman. Stihl is as good as Echo, but tends to be harder to start, and repair parts are more expensive. I'd recommend Echo's PAS system, which takes attachments, and the attachments I'd recommend are: string trimmer, edger, and blower.