Export thread

what the hell have I done wrong

J

jayartibee

Hi gents - I arrive here bearing a problem - not gifts, sorry

Never done much to my MS230C saw before - but I had to replace the purge bulb and then the main fuel line.

The saw ran between the two jobs but after doing the fuel line (which needed carb removal) when I pump the purge bulb, fuel floods the carb. That is not right is it? I can see it squirting into the carb throat if I take off the air intake.

Can anyone help?

I

ILENGINE

I would say you have reversed the lines on the primer. If you push fuel into the carb from the primer it will cause the symptoms you are having.

J

jayartibee

I'm sure the bulb is connected correctly - it pumps fuel down into the tank and draws it up through the carb.
I also note that, with the purge bulb connected up, pressure builds up in the fuel tank and fuel squirt out as soon as the fuel line is taken off the carb.

J

jayartibee

I think the new bulb is faulty - whilst it pushes fuel mainly in the right direction, for part of the pump 'cycle' is's pushing fuel back down the wrong way. Serves me right for buying a non-Stihl one...

StarTech

StarTech

If the primer is reverse flowing then yes it is bad. It has two check valves and the in one is not sealing. The primer bulb is a standard Walbro 188-512-1. You don't have buy Stihl if you buy the Walbro you will be fine. Just watch for clones through.

J

jayartibee

If the primer is reverse flowing then yes it is bad. It has two check valves and the in one is not sealing. The primer bulb is a standard Walbro 188-512-1. You don't have buy Stihl if you buy the Walbro you will be fine. Just watch for clones through.
the market is flooded (ha ha) with clones - they have a red circle visible in the bulb

got the saw started by using the primer ONCE - any more and the carb is full of petrol!

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the primer doesn't actually put fuel into the venturi, does it? Doesn't it just sort of push all the air out of the carb, back into the fuel tank?

J

jp1961

Hello,

Echo (on chainsaws at least) doesn't refer to it as a primer bulb, it's know as a purge valve, I'm guessing it purges air from the carb, totally different than a float type carb, where it does force gas into the venturi.

Regards

Jeff

J

jayartibee

you're right about its function. It doesn't fill the carb with fuel (mine does coz it sort of backfires)

It's misleading that Stihl on its parts diagrams calls it a 'Fuel Pump'.

J

jp1961

Hello,

I'm no expert on diaphragm type carbs, but the main theory is they use a flexible rubber membrane that is "powered" by crankcase pulses (both pressure and vacuum), to pump fuel into the carb where is is metered in the appropriate amounts. It's possible your carb may need rebuilding, rather than just blaming the purge valve?

Regards

Jeff

J

jayartibee

well I've tested the bulb with petrol and tubes and a jam jar and it certainly pumps in the right direction but also spits fuel out of the inlet - which causes the flooding carb

B

bertsmobile1

Yes it sucks the air / fuel thrugh the carb then pumps it into the tank.
The tank is and should be pressureised so the engine can work when the tank is lower than the carb.
Pinch off the return line & press the bulb .
It should not move much if the non return valves / valves are working.
If you can depress the bulb fully with th e outlet to the tank blocked off then the primer / purger is defective
If the primer can back flow into the carb it will depress the metering needle so pressurised fuel can squirt into the venturi depending upon the actual model carb and where the internal check valves are.

StarTech

StarTech

Sorry but even if the primer does back flow into the metering chamber it will not open the metering needle as the diaphragm must be pulled down and not pushed up. It will however will send fuel through the main nozzle and the mixture ports.

The metering diaphargm also only opens the metering needle to control fuel flow. For fuel to flow either the tank must pressurize or the fuel pump diaphragm be pumping fuel due to the impluses from the engine and the metering diaphragm pulls in due normal vacuum created in the carburetor ventura so the amount it pulls depends on how strong the vacuum is.

B

bertsmobile1

Right outcome, wrong explanation , where would I be without you to correct my mistakes

StarTech

StarTech

Just trying to have correct info posted. The better you understand how these carburetors works the better you can troubleshoot their operation.

Let say you have one you just rebuilt (installed a complete carburetor kit in) that still doesn't work. What would be the cause of no fuel in metering section even through you primed it? Now the engine would start and die.

Matter of the fact I just repaired a Stihl 028 chainsaw with similar problem. The only difference is no primer. The beast was very hard to start and was later dying after 15 minutes use. Now what was the two causes of this problem?

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Just trying to have correct info posted. The better you understand how these carburetors works the better you can troubleshoot the their operation.

I always thought they worked by FM.

B

bertsmobile1

OK, you have me on that one.
I can not see how the carb would prime / purge and then not have fuel in the metering chamber as the only way in is through the pump & metering needle.
Cubes that start OK then peter out have usually been either an impulse loss or a tank pressure failure.
Had them fail both over pressure cause the vent was blocked or under pressure cause the lines or cap were leaking.
The fist chainsaw that had me beat for months was an over pressureization which caused the carb to flood out.
In desperation I popped the colour tune in so knew it was flooding but over pressurization was not a situation I was familiar with back then.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

OK, you have me on that one.
Since this is a multigenerational forum we will call it " Fine Magic"

J

jayartibee

conclusion - ordered and fitted a Walbro primer bulb and all is fine. Looks totally identical to the bad one.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

conclusion - ordered and fitted a Walbro primer bulb and all is fine. Looks totally identical to the bad one.

Except the new one works, right? lol