What should i maintain on my lawn boy?

Lockcuff

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, picked up my first Lawn Boy today. Model 10525 with rear bagger. I mowed with it tonight and it did awesome. Are their any maintenance schedules for these motors? Id like to keep it running forever if possible. Is there anything I should look for/listen for?
Thanks in advance
Dan

weasel

Forum Newbie
Threads
chek the exhaust ports every month to ensure they dont ever plug on you.if its self propelled take the cover off and youll see 2 grease fittings and then the usual grass removal from deck and shroud.lawn boys are very low maintenance mowers.

Fireman 123

Threads
Your engine has 1 large exhaust port that a u-shape tube attaches to. This brings the exhaust back up to the top of the deck and to the above-deck muffler. On the bottom side of the deck there is a odd shaped metal plate with 4 bolts. The exhaust transfer tube is inside that area. You can initially check for any carbon deposits in the tube, but if you say the mower runs fine, and as long as you use the proper fuel mix ratio, I wouldn't go through the trouble of checking each month. I have ran synthetic oil mix in mine at 50:1 with no trouble at all.
Another find with the Duraforce is a surging issue with the carbs. On the left side of the carb body, hiding behind a decal, there is a jet you can adjust to address that.
Lastly, for some unknown reason, they didn't come factory with a fuel shutoff like all the older Lawnboys. A common thing you'll see on the Duraforce engines is black stains on the deck in front of the muffler where raw fuel will seep past the needle and seat over time while sitting, and cause the engine to flood a little. It gets "spit" out of the muffler when it starts up.

Rudedog

Threads
I had all of the problems that Fireman 123 describes. I added this filter and shut off to the mower.

K&T Parts House - Universal-Most Common Items - Fuel Line & Accessories Gas Caps, Fittings,Filters,Primer Bulbs - Fuel Filter 1/4"

K&T Parts House - Universal-Most Common Items - Fuel Line & Accessories Gas Caps, Fittings,Filters,Primer Bulbs - Cut-off Valve 1/4"

I also cleaned out the jet on the side of the carb. It will be covered with a piece of black tape that has a number on it. Pull the tape off and back the jet out with a small straight blade screw driver. Mine was all clogged up. I soaked it for 20 minutes in carb cleaner spray and then blew it out with my mouth. I could tell the difference because air could now pass through the teeny ports and it was unclogged. I then reinstalled the screw. I screwed it in firm but not tight. I then cut a new piece of electrical tape and reapplied it over the screw. Made a world of difference, completely stopping the surging problem.

Lockcuff

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will out that jet on the side. I did notice under the motor it looks like the exhaust plate may be leaking, possibly the exhaust gasket between the motor and bottom plate. It runs great other than it seems to surge at lower throttle. Kinda like the governer is not keeping steady. Gonna have to play today. I ordered a mulching plate off eBay last night for it 2.
Thanks for the info.

Fireman 123

Threads
Lockcuff said:
I will out that jet on the side. I did notice under the motor it looks like the exhaust plate may be leaking, possibly the exhaust gasket between the motor and bottom plate. It runs great other than it seems to surge at lower throttle. Kinda like the governer is not keeping steady. Gonna have to play today. I ordered a mulching plate off eBay last night for it 2.
Thanks for the info.

If you mean it looks to be leaking at the plate underneath the deck, it's that raw fuel pooled there. When you remove the plate, it will run out.

Lockcuff

Forum Newbie
Threads
Im not sure if its something leaking, or if its just from spilled gas, i did order a filter and a shutoff, i haven't cleaned anything yet, later today or tomorrow she will get a good scrubbing and greased up.
Heres some pics of what I see.
Is the jet on the side of the carb in the pic the one that should be covered?

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg