What makes it a mulching mower?

bkeller500

Threads
Mulching is for people that like the idea or theory of mulching. In practical real results it fails. Sure if you were cutting perfectly dry grass about 1” off the top, it works ok, but how often does this happen? Mulching doesn’t even work that well for a 21” mower in thicker and taller grass. Remember, the grass has nowhere to go. I try to educate and help my customers in issues such as this, and they actually listen many times.
I agree. And if you are only taking off an inch at a time how could any of the 1” clippings ever get recut?

GrumpyCat

Threads
I only mulched with my EGo 21" SP electric mower. Basically you need a blade with high lift on the outer portion, down blowing in the center, so that clippings circulate. Sometimes I bagged so as to have clippings to cover bare ground.

Have not been mulching with the ZTR as it blows grass 10' or more and doesn't leave any visible clippings if I cut every 5-7 days. About the time some of my grass goes to seed.

Freddie21

Threads
I don't know if I missed the answer to the gent's question or if it didn't get answered. "What makes it a mulcher?". To me it means blocking off the shoot, adding a plug\baffle and mulching blades. I have 2 ZT, one for mulching my front lawn and the shoot for the back 40. The mulcher does a great job if the grass is kept shorter and cut when dry. The shoot doesn't care, but it leaves a coating of cut grass on the top. For leaves in the fall. the shoot just blows them a mile whereas the mulcher grinds them up.

bkeller500

Threads
Definition......Grass mulching or circular grass managementIt is a specific mowing technique that finely shreds the grass into small particles. These small particles are then blown back over the lawn and evenly distributed between the grass. In a perfect situation I would agree. In real life there is a strong tendency for the re-distribution to not occur evenly, resulting in clumping, windrowing, underside deck accumulation and/or uneven cuttings. Many factors influence the final outcome. The equipment, the operator, the lawn health, moisture and terrain all are part of the equation. Any mower will mulch to a degree. Chute blockers and blades are options but not the only determining factors.

Reverett

Threads
I'm wondering if maybe I didn't word my question clearly because you guys seem to be talking about totally different things.
That happens frequently on this and other boards!
To help with your question, A mulching mower is comprised of two main components that makes them work correctly. 1) the blades are curved to create more lift and has a top side cut, and 2) the deck needs to accommodate a mulching "plug" or kit so that the cuttings are re-cut continuously and not discharged. I have a neighbor that claims he has a mulching mower but when I look at it the only thing he has is the mulching blades and his deck discharges which does not make it a mulching mower. I told him to check his model to see if the manufacturer had a mulching kit available to complete the mulching requirements. Discharging the grass defeats the purpose of mulching.

With that being said, I don't see mulching as a good solution for a walk behind mower. I have a 54" Z-Turn with mulching kit and blades and works great!

Last edited:

dberry1052

Forum Newbie
Threads
What makes a mulching mower, a mulching mower?
Is it just the style of blade? The blades with the fans on top to do extra shredding as the blade spins?
If I had a mower that had a plane blade, can I make it a mulching mower simply by putting a mulching blade on it?

I got a free mower I'm going to fix up and then sell. But WHILE I'm selling it, I plan on using it on my yard. BUT I don't bag my clippings and I don't want to. I also don't have a chute for this mower, just the bag. If I could throw a mulching blade on this thing and use it as a mulcher, that would be ideal. If not, I might not be able to give it a proper workout/test use before selling.
take off your bad, the mower will likely have a trap door....blades are designated mulching blades because of the design. mulching puts the grass back on your lawn to self fertilize...and a mulching setup means you don't have to go in only one direction around things....Preferred. here in florida you have to cut once a week anyway...so the clipping are never that bad and they are mulched up and returned to the lawn...

Reverett

Threads
take off your bad, the mower will likely have a trap door....blades are designated mulching blades because of the design. mulching puts the grass back on your lawn to self fertilize...and a mulching setup means you don't have to go in only one direction around things....Preferred. here in florida you have to cut once a week anyway...so the clipping are never that bad and they are mulched up and returned to the lawn...
I live in north Central Florida and have mowed with Mulching plugs and blades on 7 acres for 20 years. No clumping from discharge and I don't use a push mower.

Skippydiesel

Threads
Mulching, is a way of processing grass clippings into smaller pieces. The more you process the more energy/power is required.
Two identical mowers, one with a standard cut system, the other with mulching - The mulching mower will use more fuel, likly cut slower and all for a very questionable benefit.

Reverett

Threads
Totally disagree but I think you're comparing a push mower and I use a 25HP zero turn with great results and have for years!

GrumpyCat

Threads
I don't doubt mulching requires more power. The grass blades are cut multiple times, each cut requires power.

As for the benefit? Not questionable at all. Is a bit silly to pay to fertilize, then cut and bag clippings to discard. Rather, chop them up, put them back on the ground, keep the nutrients where they are needed.

Expected to add a mulching kit to my zero turn but so far it cuts clippings fine enough not to be laying on top turning brown. Maybe I'm mowing too often?