what is compatible Old briggs starter

Digiacomo

Threads
Hello I'm new here.......and I have gotten hooked on these old mowers......I just bought an old monkey ward mtd [I guess] ....It is in pretty good shape for it's years...75 bucks.......The guy said that it needed a starter and would run.......the hot connecter on the starter was broken and grounding to the case........by the time I got the back cover off, three of the brush wires came loose..........at that point I figure I need to search for a starter..........I'm just getting into this little hobby so i figured this would be the best place for info...........

briggs & stratton flat head 11 hp ...# on starter 8810273..............I just need to know which ones are going to be compatible.....and a good place to buy one...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Look carefully at the shroud, just above the spark plug, or on the side of the shroud. You should find the model, type and code numbers. With those numbers we will be able to provide you with all the info you need, plus a service manual. The numbers on the starter don’t mean much.

Digiacomo

Threads
thanks a lot........I have to take the shroud off to clean things up anyway.........no wonder I have not even come close to matching my numbers that are on the starter.
I am also old and retired, I spent my last 30 years of work in cement plant doing everthing from shovel and wheelbarrow to maint.and welding and ended up in the quarry running equiptment and blasting......my old body doesn't want to give up.....these mowers are just something else to keep me active amd out my wifes way ;-)

Digiacomo

Threads
I found this:

New Starter For Briggs & Stratton 7 8 10 11 12 12.5 16 18 HP Engines 1972-2002
did they not make any changes in all those years???

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They made changes, depending on the engine and use. That’s why we need numbers. Purchasing one of the starters you posted is a crap shoot and I wouldn’t recommend it, but it’s your money.

Digiacomo

Threads
I'm going to be sure of a right fit, I'm just trying to educate myself..........keeping the brain cells alive...I'll start the tear down today........and see if i can find the numbers,,,,so far the lable on the top says 400cc 11hp syncro balance sae j607

Digiacomo

Threads
model 252707 type 0645-01 code 84121211...........the search begins...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Digiacomo

Threads
thanks a lot........I'll pay it forward when ever i can