What Ford intially was

mois25

Threads
Perhaps what is not known to most people is that most Ford lawn and garden tractors were manufactured by Jacobsen. The year 1988 saw the company change to Ford-New Holland.

My uncle has so much attachment to his Ford lawn mower to an extent that he cannot explain.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes Jacobsen has been a very respected name in equipment... :thumbsup::thumbsup:
:smile:KennyV

mois25

Threads
I agree that they are a renowned lot but what necessitated the change of name and perhaps ownership? Do most people still find Ford mowers as the in thing?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
From the people I know with farming size Ford/New Holland, the change to NewHolland has not been a step forward... all the Agra equipment has become less desirable as New Holland...
I have not seen any NewHolland lawn mowers?? I don't know if they have a small line any longer... KennyV

Kingwood990

Threads
From the people I know with farming size Ford/New Holland, the change to NewHolland has not been a step forward... all the Agra equipment has become less desirable as New Holland...
I have not seen any NewHolland lawn mowers?? I don't know if they have a small line any longer... KennyV

The New Holland lawn mowers and garden tractors were built by Toro Wheelhorse. They are some what rare today.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I saw in a book I just got, (Garden Tractors: Deere, Cub Cadet, Wheel Horse, and All the Rest, 1930s to Current by Oscar H. Will III - great book, I got it at Tractor Supply) That there were a LOT of attachments for those things.

Didn't the name change happen when Ford got out of making tractors/Semis? I know NH is still around. The new 8n is a coool lookin little tractor! Thought they still had a mower line made by MTD?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I saw in a book I just got, (Garden Tractors: Deere, Cub Cadet, Wheel Horse, and All the Rest, 1930s to Current by Oscar H. Will III - great book, I got it at Tractor Supply) That there were a LOT of attachments for those things.

Didn't the name change happen when Ford got out of making tractors/Semis? I know NH is still around. The new 8n is a coool lookin little tractor! Thought they still had a mower line made by MTD?

I have a '53 Jubilee...saw one of the new Boomer 8N's last fall at a county fair...looked really good until I saw the price tag....:eek:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a '53 Jubilee...saw one of the new Boomer 8N's last fall at a county fair...looked really good until I saw the price tag....:eek:

No poop - that was MY reaction, too. :eek:

poncho62

Threads
Perhaps what is not known to most people is that most Ford lawn and garden tractors were manufactured by Jacobsen. The year 1988 saw the company change to Ford-New Holland.

My uncle has so much attachment to his Ford lawn mower to an extent that he cannot explain.

Jacobsen made the garden tractors until 88 and the Gilson made them for a few years.....then Toro after that.....The strongest ones were made by Jacobsen.....they got cheaper and less well made after that......like all garden tractors it seems