What do you think?

lacrosse_24

Threads
I've got a TORO Lawn Mower, with a Tecumseh Engine, (LEV120, Spec 362003A)

I replaced the carburetor with an aftermarket carb, worked like a charm. Mowed most of my lawn with it, then all of a sudden POOF white smoke starts pouring out of the exhaust, gotta be a blown head gasket? That sudden? Would love to know your thoughts on what people think it is, and how hard it would be to fix?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you have fuel in the oil? Smell the dipstick to verify. Aftermarket carb alert here.

White smoke is water burning off. Blue smoke is oil. Just saying. What color again was the smoke?

slomo

lacrosse_24

Threads
Do you have fuel in the oil? Smell the dipstick to verify. Aftermarket carb alert here.

White smoke is water burning off. Blue smoke is oil. Just saying. What color again was the smoke?

slomo
When there was a lot of smoke it seemed pretty white, but as it lessened there's definitely a blue tint, I felt like it had to be oil. Just seemed odd that I mowed most of my yard with no problem then it just started out of nowhere. I'll check the dipstick, could this be a symptom of a head gasket?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m in agreement with slomo on this. If your crankcase is overfilled, your aftermarket carb is the cause, which wouldn’t surprise me at all.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
When there was a lot of smoke it seemed pretty white, but as it lessened there's definitely a blue tint, I felt like it had to be oil. Just seemed odd that I mowed most of my yard with no problem then it just started out of nowhere. I'll check the dipstick, could this be a symptom of a head gasket?
Could be a head gasket, sure. Hope the governor is operating proper. Were the revs waaaay too high or normal?

slomo

lacrosse_24

Threads
Could be a head gasket, sure. Hope the governor is operating proper. Were the revs waaaay too high or normal?

slomo
Never too high, it definitely would stall and almost die, the oil (or whatever) seemed to burn off and it would almost be normal, but as soon as I would move it or engage the self propel POOF tons of smoke again and it would almost stall out and die.

So no over rev at all, actually the opposite.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
So engaging the belt and it smokes, is this a belt issue or engine oil?

OR the oil level now possibly flooded with fuel is too high. Smell the dipstick.

slomo

lacrosse_24

Threads
So engaging the belt and it smokes, is this a belt issue or engine oil?

OR the oil level now possibly flooded with fuel is too high. Smell the dipstick.

slomo
I don't think it's a belt issue, it bellowed smoke for a long time even without engaging the belt. If there is fuel in the oil, what does that mean/what needs to be replaced?

lacrosse_24

Threads
I’m in agreement with slomo on this. If your crankcase is overfilled, your aftermarket carb is the cause, which wouldn’t surprise me at all.
Not knowing much about mowers besides how to strap on a carb, how does the carb affect the crankcase overflowing with oil? Is the fix buying the OEM carb?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't think it's a belt issue, it bellowed smoke for a long time even without engaging the belt. If there is fuel in the oil, what does that mean/what needs to be replaced?
Again, fuel in the oil means carb needle sticking. Time to clean it or rebuild the carb.

SMELL THE DIPSTICK.

slomo