What Did I Do??

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cajun, if you know as much as you think you would know that there are two types of wiring used on fuel solenoids. Single wire which uses the solenoid body as the ground and two wire, with one wire being used as a ground. If you have a two wire circuit and you connect those two wires together, you now have a dead short to ground. Simplest way to test a fuel solenoid is place one hand on the solenoid and turn the key to the run position. If you feel and hear the solenoid engage it is working. If not, you second test is to take a test light and check for power to the solenoid. No power, electrical problem before the solenoid. Power, bad solenoid. Can’t be much simpler, even for a DIY guy.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Cajun, if you know as much as you think you would know that there are two types of wiring used on fuel solenoids. Single wire which uses the solenoid body as the ground and two wire, with one wire being used as a ground. If you have a two wire circuit and you connect those two wires together, you now have a dead short to ground. Simplest way to test a fuel solenoid is place one hand on the solenoid and turn the key to the run position. If you feel and hear the solenoid engage it is working. If not, you second test is to take a test light and check for power to the solenoid. No power, electrical problem before the solenoid. Power, bad solenoid. Can’t be much simpler, even for a DIY guy.
LOL...save your fingers. It's a lost cause.

ft_motors

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I have a 4 year old cub cadet that i have hardly used. Maybe 20 hours. Last summer I had a hard time getting it to run because I left old gas sit in it. I did get it to run but if you really tried to use power it would die out but I got it to run enough to burn out the old gas and then it sat there all winter until now. I now have added good gas and it would not start so I sprayed some sea foam down the carb opening and still no start, not even a pop. And then here is where I may have messed up. I then removed the air cleaner and poured in some gas and it did start for me but only for a few seconds and puffing out white smoke while it did. So I came back today and did the same thing and it started up and will run for about 30 seconds at full power before it dies out but massive white smoke. But I don't need to add any more gas in the carb to get it to start. When the air cleaner was off I noticed it would also pump what seemed to be gas but not nice clear gas but a yellow gas. But what has me worried is that I am now seeing oil all over the front as if when it runs it will also throw out oil.

I guess probably putting the gas in the carb was a mistake.

Any advice would be great. I would have brought it in but I don't have a way to move it and the shop is an hour from me so I guess its live and learn.

Thanks.
Your carburetor is plugged up from the old gas sitting inside the carb for extensive period of time. Use GumBuster to clean the carburetor without disassembly.

sessman55

Threads
So I have a 4 year old cub cadet that i have hardly used. Maybe 20 hours. Last summer I had a hard time getting it to run because I left old gas sit in it. I did get it to run but if you really tried to use power it would die out but I got it to run enough to burn out the old gas and then it sat there all winter until now. I now have added good gas and it would not start so I sprayed some sea foam down the carb opening and still no start, not even a pop. And then here is where I may have messed up. I then removed the air cleaner and poured in some gas and it did start for me but only for a few seconds and puffing out white smoke while it did. So I came back today and did the same thing and it started up and will run for about 30 seconds at full power before it dies out but massive white smoke. But I don't need to add any more gas in the carb to get it to start. When the air cleaner was off I noticed it would also pump what seemed to be gas but not nice clear gas but a yellow gas. But what has me worried is that I am now seeing oil all over the front as if when it runs it will also throw out oil.

I guess probably putting the gas in the carb was a mistake.

Any advice would be great. I would have brought it in but I don't have a way to move it and the shop is an hour from me so I guess its live and learn.

Thanks.
Sounds like you have a Kohler Courage engine with the cracked case problem. See YouTube videos on the subject.

jedigene1

Forum Newbie
Threads

aI guess probably putting the gas in the carb was a mistake.

Thanks.
Mine was doing similar, but mine would run if left in full choke which is not a good thing. I pulled the carb and took it apart. I removed very carefully, all the gaskets. I cleaned good with carb cleaner. Fortunately I have a Ultrasonic cleaner. I placed it in the Ultrasonic with heat. Rinsed it, and dried it really well and sprayed it good with carb cleaner again and dried. I reassembled. I also pulled the fuel tank and cleaned well. New filter, and fired right up. No more problem. Hope this helps you. Luck...