What Did I Do??

tsfrance

Threads
So I have a 4 year old cub cadet that i have hardly used. Maybe 20 hours. Last summer I had a hard time getting it to run because I left old gas sit in it. I did get it to run but if you really tried to use power it would die out but I got it to run enough to burn out the old gas and then it sat there all winter until now. I now have added good gas and it would not start so I sprayed some sea foam down the carb opening and still no start, not even a pop. And then here is where I may have messed up. I then removed the air cleaner and poured in some gas and it did start for me but only for a few seconds and puffing out white smoke while it did. So I came back today and did the same thing and it started up and will run for about 30 seconds at full power before it dies out but massive white smoke. But I don't need to add any more gas in the carb to get it to start. When the air cleaner was off I noticed it would also pump what seemed to be gas but not nice clear gas but a yellow gas. But what has me worried is that I am now seeing oil all over the front as if when it runs it will also throw out oil.

I guess probably putting the gas in the carb was a mistake.

Any advice would be great. I would have brought it in but I don't have a way to move it and the shop is an hour from me so I guess its live and learn.

Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would say a combination of bad gas and oil in the cylinders that has seeped past the rings while setting. You may just need to run it to get the smoke and running condition to clear up.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check your oil level. If the float needle was stuck open when you filled with fresh fuel it may have run straight through the carb, into the cylinder and then into the crankcase.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Stale old fuel gums up the small passages in the carb and also the solenoid on the bottom
Sloshing seafoam around is not a solution
The carb has to come off for a proper cleaning and the solenoid will also need to be cleaned .
The gummed up carb will have leaked fuel into the engine as per the above replies.

tsfrance

Threads
Stale old fuel gums up the small passages in the carb and also the solenoid on the bottom
Sloshing seafoam around is not a solution
The carb has to come off for a proper cleaning and the solenoid will also need to be cleaned .
The gummed up carb will have leaked fuel into the engine as per the above replies.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to try and find a mobile person to come and do it for me. Could expand a bit more on the solenoid please. That is not the starter solenoid, right?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No
In the bottom ofth fuel bowl is a fuel shut off solenoid that shuts off fuel TO THE ENGINE when you turn the key off .
BEcause it is at the bottom of the float bow it gets gummed up when the fuel evaporates
Then it does not open fully when the key is turned on.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
No
In the bottom ofth fuel bowl is a fuel shut off solenoid that shuts off fuel TO THE ENGINE when you turn the key off .
BEcause it is at the bottom of the float bow it gets gummed up when the fuel evaporates
Then it does not open fully when the key is turned on.
Technically it is called the anti after fire solenoid. Not correcting Bertsmobile, just stating the term. Supposed to stop/lessen backfire when turning off the engine. If people would idle down their equipment for 5-10 or 30 seconds, that usually helps with backfires. I see people turning off their mower at wide open throttle all the time. Kind of like pulling into your garage, revving up your car engine to 5500 rpm, then turning it off.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Technically it is called the anti after fire solenoid. Not correcting Bertsmobile, just stating the term. Supposed to stop/lessen backfire when turning off the engine. If people would idle down their equipment for 5-10 or 30 seconds, that usually helps with backfires. I see people turning off their mower at wide open throttle all the time. Kind of like pulling into your garage, revving up your car engine to 5500 rpm, then turning it off.
Full throttle shut off is the recommended procedure on Kohler engines due to the fuel solenoid doesn't shut off the fuel flow for the idle circuit in the kohler carbs only the high speed jet. So to prevent the raw fuel from being drawn from the idle circuit they say full throttle.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ant time you feel I need correcting please feel free to do it
I do know what it is called but as it is as EPA regulation I refuce to use the term thta implies it was there for the benefit of the owners
As for shut down speeds the engine runs at a fixed speed so it is nothing like puting your foot to the floor then turing the engine off .
In fact there are a lot of walk behinds with no throttle control at all
Starts WFO rund WFO & stops WFO