What blade and engine combo should I use on this Snapper 21-Inch?

primerbulb120

Threads
  • / What blade and engine combo should I use on this Snapper 21-Inch?
So I'm looking to get a mulching blade for one of my Snappers. This one:

The model is: 21351P
The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 110902-3911-01. The label says "187cc." From what I've read, it's 4 HP.

I want a blade that will provide a good quality of cut and mulch well, even when the mower is moving quickly. I don't care about bagging or discharge. I narrowed it down to the Oregon Gator and the Snapper Ninja. Any thoughts? Which one works better? Or should I get both?

I'm also debating whether I should fix the original engine, or put it on a shelf and install a Briggs Quantum instead. :confused: What are your opinions on this? Pros and cons?

I bought this mower because it's compact, it has an amazing reputation, and it's fast. :thumbsup: I want to use the mower to its full potential, so I'd like to get a mulching blade that can handle tall grass at a decent ground speed, as well as an engine that has enough power to handle the blade.:smile:

I know I have a lot of questions, but this is definitely the place to ask them. Thanks! :wink:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
So I'm looking to get a mulching blade for one of my Snappers. This one:
The model is: 21351P
The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 110902-3911-01. The label says "187cc." From what I've read, it's 4 HP.

I want a blade that will provide a good quality of cut and mulch well, even when the mower is moving quickly. I don't care about bagging or discharge. I narrowed it down to the Oregon Gator and the Snapper Ninja. Any thoughts? Which one works better? Or should I get both?

I'm also debating whether I should fix the original engine, or put it on a shelf and install a Briggs Quantum instead. :confused: What are your opinions on this? Pros and cons?

I bought this mower because it's compact, it has an amazing reputation, and it's fast. :thumbsup: I want to use the mower to its full potential, so I'd like to get a mulching blade that can handle tall grass at a decent ground speed, as well as an engine that has enough power to handle the blade.:smile:

I know I have a lot of questions, but this is definitely the place to ask them. Thanks! :wink:

I'm a gator blade fan but Id buy both, you probably wont break the bank and you can always use blades. As far as the engine goes I'd stay with the largest. Considering there both B&S flip a coin.

primerbulb120

Threads
Update: I put a Briggs Quantum engine on the mower and installed a new, sharp Snapper Ninja blade. The cut quality is terrible. I will try the Oregon Gator Blade when it comes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I want to use the mower to its full potential, so I'd like to get a mulching blade that can handle tall grass at a decent ground speed, as well as an engine that has enough power to handle the blade.

You are living in fantasy land.
You can not mulch tall gras effectively.
Maximum mulching cut on a push mower is about 1" of cut on 2" cut height.
You do not and can not sucessfully mulch long grass, the clippings literally have no where to go.
And this is before the volume of clippings overwhelm the bldes and deck draft.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Old thread, bored at work.

The OP is unreasonable. "New so called sharp Ninja blade cuts terribly". Like others have said, I bet his grass is a foot tall and he wants it at 1.5" HOC.

Again as mentioned, if you are lazy mulching, if trying to remove over a half inch, expect clump trails in the yard. If you mulch you have to mow more often as in a couple times a week. You can't mulch yards like Somethingtolookat or Texas Veteran on Youtube. BTW these guys have the best overgrown yard cutting videos on YT.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
To answer this old post, I would use an Oregon 99-121.

slomo