What am I missing here?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove carb.
The shaft has a plate in the middle of the shaft.
Pull the plate out which should allow the shaft to come out.
Sometimes its easier and cheaper to replace the carb.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
My knee jerk reaction would be to say just buy a new carb, but looking at the bent up throttle rod, I will say no....

You need to go back to school..... Learn how these engines function, instead of courting a quickee response.....

The guys that post here are trying to help.....

kevo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gonzo, If I posted something that ruffled your feathers, I apologize. I never meant to offend by my posts, in fact, in the first response I typed "Thanks Everyone" prior to asking any other questions.

As to you suggesting I go "back to school," I will do nothing of the sort. I spent many years in school for the career that I do have, I am not looking at making one out of repairing lawnmowers. I came here for advice. If I would have attended a trade-school on small engine repair, I would assume I wouldn't needed to come here with what I thought was a simple question in the first place.

Thank you everyone for any the assistance you have already given, I will take any further questions I have elsewhere.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, if you are trying to replaced a throttle shaft in a cheap plastic carb, then you need a new carb, which is @ $20, but when we see bent gov rods, missing springs, we get kind of antsy./antsy..... You have an internal gov. setup.....

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
My feathers have always been ruffled, but we need full info here if you want help...Start from the beginning, and tell us what
you have tried, etc....

kevo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I'll give it another shot, sometimes context doesn't always translate via text.

Fish - This lawnmower, is my elderly neighbors'. She said her son tried to fix it but could not get it working. Upon removing the air filter, I saw what you see in the pictures, but there was a piece of electrical tape connecting the linkage rod to the metal tab where the governer spring hooks. I tried nothing else, other than reading reading manuals and watching videos for the past five days.

You folks keep referring to a bent rod. Are you speaking of the throttle shaft or the mechanical governer link?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am attempting my first lawnmower repair. This is a newish model craftsman with a b&s 5.5 hp engine. Pic is included with the model number. I know this eeds some parts for the governer, but I don't know what ALL I need, besides the spring. None of the videos online have this particular model of engine, so I want to make sure I order all the parts I need. Any assistance you could provide would be appreciated.
View attachment 20459
View attachment 20460

Yeah, the gov rod has been bent a tad, just straighten it out so it doesn't rub anything going back and forth. To replace the throttle
shaft you will have to remove the tank/carb, and pull the throttle plate out with needle nose pliers, replace that and a new gov.
spring should be all you'll need.

kevo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Fish! I ordered the parts. I'll attempt the repair this weekend and let you all know how it goes! I appreciate the help.

Thanks again,
kevo