What am I missing here?

kevo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am attempting my first lawnmower repair. This is a newish model craftsman with a b&s 5.5 hp engine. Pic is included with the model number. I know this eeds some parts for the governer, but I don't know what ALL I need, besides the spring. None of the videos online have this particular model of engine, so I want to make sure I order all the parts I need. Any assistance you could provide would be appreciated.
mower1.jpg
lawnmower2.jpg

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Error

On these parts blowups, they cover lots of engines, so you plug in your model/type number, look at all of the pic, and only the ones below with a price attached to the part number apply to your engine.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a copy of the blowup...

Attachments

• briggs gov setup.gif
    briggs gov setup.gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 7

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Error

see is this one goes through...

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry, there must be a block on putting up these links.....

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes you need a spring but the white throttle shaft that the governor rod fits to has been pushed over the throttle stop.
This would cause a wide open throttle with no control on rpm.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The bent tab right below the spark plug wire needs a spring going over to the throttle...

kevo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone! I had found that manual before. The problem is it does not show WHERE these things are located on the mower, so without an example of what a working one looks like, I am having trouble figuring out what I need.

Pugaltitude - The white throttle shaft ( I am assuming this is the white odd shaped piece that the "Link - Mechanical Governer" fits into,) is actually broken or melted. So this is one piece I am certain I need, in addition to the spring. Can you get this piece without buying a new carb? I can't seem to figure out how to remove that white piece.

kevo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I found the plastic piece, it is called "Shaft-Throttle". How do you take the old one out of the carb?

So, if I get the new shaft-throttle and governer spring, that should be all I need, right?