Export thread

Weedeater One WE261 Steering Locks Up

R

rtt2581

When turning full left the steering locks up. I noticed the right tire stops turning left but the left tire continues to turn left until the steering locks up. If I put it in reverse, I can then turn the wheels back to the right. Anyone else have this problem or know a fix?

I

ILENGINE

Check for worn bushings, and bent linkages. The problem results from the left tire over pivoting causing it to lock the steering.

R

rtt2581

Thank you ILENGINE. I did notice the LH spindle had a bend on both ends of the bracket the steering linkage attaches to and the RH spindle did not. I found pictures of the RH spindle (straight, no bends) but could not find a picture of the LH spindle anywhere to compare and see if this was normal. I just bought the mower Wednesday 2nd hand and never saw what it looked like new. I'll bend the LH spindle straight and see if that corrects the problem. I just didn't want to do that before knowing whether or not it should be bent.

J

jerryp58

Nope, the connecting bracket on the spindle should not be bent, it should be at 90* to the spindle and straight. I've had the same problem with both spindles. I replaced the RH spindle once and the second time it happened i straightened the bracket and had a gusset welded to the underside of it. When the LH spindle bracket bent I didn't bother with a replacement, I just straightened it out and had a gusset welded to it. The RH spindle has been holding up for two seasons and the LH has been holding up for the rest of this season.