weed trimmers....ryan -ryobi-idc

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
ive been offered 3 trimmers for $40.....one is Ryobi 780 series.....another Ryan [beige-brown]...and IDC [green].....from what i know....these are junk trimmers....anybody have an opinion?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
ive been offered 3 trimmers for $40.....one is Ryobi 780 series.....another Ryan [beige-brown]...and IDC [green].....from what i know....these are junk trimmers....anybody have an opinion?

Gas or electric? I have a near 20 year old IDC electric trimmer I got from Monkey Wards, it looks a LOT like a rebranded Ryobi. Do any of them work at all?

$40 these days will buy you a fair electric trimmer new, and $70 a gas model that is new. You don't want to know how many trimmers I have that I am not using. Maybe I should get them all out and take a picture so you guys can laugh.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
all gas....i ended up buying the ryobi 780 for $10 because i at least recognize the name and its a geared shaft ......the other 2 are cable....it starts hard and runs furious for a 10 seconds then dead!....ive never been a 2 stroke fan....but it looks like the carb is coming off this one.....i dont know if i can handle a trimmer junkyard! :laughing:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
all gas....i ended up buying the ryobi 780 for $10 because i at least recognize the name and its a geared shaft ......the other 2 are cable....it starts hard and runs furious for a 10 seconds then dead!....ive never been a 2 stroke fan....but it looks like the carb is coming off this one.....i dont know if i can handle a trimmer junkyard! :laughing:

Oh, HORSE SQUEEZE, with ten mowers, what's a few trimmers hanging from the rafters? Buy them all and give the local code official something more to gripe about....:laughing:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i could make yard art out of them...the neighbors would love that! :laughing:

oldyellr

Threads
I have an IDC weed trimmer. Seems to be an odd-ball brand, but at least it was made in the U.S.A. I bought it at a Big Lot store for $44 about 30 years ago but now it's become very hard to start and keep running, so I may replace it because it doesn't owe me anything. Worked great when it started and ran. Once the piston got glued inside the bore after I ran some very old gas in it and I had to soak it in varnish remover and pound it out. Also the primer bulb hardened and cracked and I had to search for a replacement on-line because no local small engine places had one.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i got the carb running ok...but now the string spool seized and i can t get new string in it...parts are few and far between for this guy....i cant get a carb kit

oldyellr

Threads
I got sick of messing with balky string trimmer heads and got a blade conversion similar to this.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
got the spool apart...some pb blaster and 3 hrs in the freezer and... voila!...the threads are all reverse...someone must have cranked the s#$t out of it...31cc...it should be good enough for for little jobs....but no stand on it

Attachments

• IMG_0890[1].jpg
    IMG_0890[1].jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0891[1].jpg
    IMG_0891[1].jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0892[1].jpg
    IMG_0892[1].jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 16

reddragon

Lawn Addict