Weed problem

upupandaway

Threads
Every spring, I spray weedkiller. Every spring, many of the weeds curl up but stay green. Some of them, 1 branch is curled up, the other branch looks untouched. They look like they are laughing at me with a black eye instead of being dead like they are supposed to.
I read the instructions temp range. I read if it doesn't rain for a while, the lawn goes into "drought mode" and thus will not suck up the killer, so I waited to spray 2 days after a good rain. I tried both the bottle with sprayer and adjustable bottle trying to turn up the concentration, still same.

Any other suggestions or is this as good as it gets?

TIA

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You got to use the right herbicide. Grasses uses one type with broadleaves and garlic (commonly called wild onions) using a broadleaf herbicide.
Otherwords Round-up type don't work on broadleaves. 2-4D usually works on broadleaves but must used with caution as desirable plants can be killed (wife will beat the living crap out of you if you kill her flowers). 2-4D is also temperature sensitive as it gas off above 70-80F, drift and kill things not intended.

upupandaway

Threads
You got to use the right herbicide. Grasses uses one type with broadleaves and garlic (commonly called wild onions) using a broadleaf herbicide.
Otherwords Round-up type don't work on broadleaves. 2-4D usually works on broadleaves but must used with caution as desirable plants can be killed (wife will beat the living crap out of you if you kill her flowers). 2-4D is also temperature sensitive as it gas off above 70-80F, drift and kill things not intended.
I did. I used Ortho Weed-b-gone and I tried the other brand also. They clearly say they work on my weeds.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've used glyphosate for years with no issues to kill old lawns before reseeding them. Also used to spot treat. Only thing that has come back a couple times to get rid of it are grasses like Bermuda where some of the stolons not killed reproduce. Just follow the instructions on the label. There are additives that make it stickier so more of it sticks on the plant if that is the issue. My guess is that you are not getting a good even coating on the plant, or giving it long enough to die. Also used when the plant is dormant doesn't work either. Plant needs to be actively growing.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I did. I used Ortho Weed-b-gone and I tried the other brand also. They clearly say they work on my weeds.
If it is anything like 2-4D it must applied at the acre rate if broadcast sprayed. I know 2-4D is applied at 1-1/2 - 2 pints per acre.

And glyphosate at half rate to control sage grass and as a growth regulator; but of course, I dealing with tall fescue grass as my desirable grass.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take a photo of the weeds and PRINT IT OUT as large as you can in colour.
that the photos to your local nursery that has a hortoculturalist on staff and show it to them for a recommended treatment plan.
If that goes not work, then consult your local council , if it is scheduled weed some will give you the right weedkiller for free
Final solution is a botanical garden, again most will identify the weed & recommend a control program
In some cases it might even be some grubs that will eat it out every year again for free .
Every 5 years or so we get a shipment of lacewings which get distributed around the orchards & veggie patches
They control around 20 or so pest species if the birds don't get them first .