Weed Eater model HD13538 wont crank after belt broke

TurboTravis

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Weed Eater model HD13538 wont crank after belt broke
First post! I'm repairing my neighbors Weed Eater riding mower. He said that the engine would not crank immediately after the belt for the blades broke. I briefly looked at it last night and found the battery completely discharged. The resistance between the battery cables measures about 50 ohms (this is a problem). The positive cable from the battery to the starter solenoid is not damaged or grounding anywhere. Upon further inspection, the 50 ohms is coming from a small red wire that connects to the positive battery cable near the starter solenoid. The engine cranks fine when using a charged battery and jumper cables connected to the starter. I only did a brief visual inspection but I did not see any obviously damaged wires.

I am away from home at the moment and will resume work on it later today. Just curious if anyone has any input. I have a limited amount of time to devote to this repair so any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

-Travis

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Weed Eater model HD13538 wont crank after belt broke
That small red wire is the power feed to the rest of the mower
This could include the rectifier & alternator depending upon how the mower is wired.
It also includes resistance from bad ground connection.