Weak spark

gregmartin

Member
Will a BRIGGS AND STRATTON 6.75 HP. Engine start with a weak spark.
I can't even get it to pop,when I look at the plug its wet so it getting gas.
I have to spin it pretty fast with drill to get a weak spark and no spark when I pull by hand.
Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • image-1687395610.jpg
    image-1687395610.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 12
So for all practical purposed you do not have spark. Either partially grounded kill wire, faulty spark plug, or faulty ignition module.
 
I would take the Ignition Coil off and brighten the mounting surfaces on both the coil and mounting surfaces. Be sure the air gap is correct. Disconnect the Kill Wire and see what happens.

Walt Conner
 
As stated, look at the ignition system. It could be the ground/kill wire, or even a failing coil. Sorry for the dumb question but is the plug new?
 
So far I disconnected the kill wire with same results.
The plug is not new but looks pretty good.
I did regap the coil to 10 thousands, I wasn't sure exactly what it should be. Every thing did look clean but I'll clean it better tomorrow
I thought a coil is either GOOD or BAD no in between, I assume they can become weak
Thank you for the ideas.
 
So far I disconnected the kill wire with same results.
The plug is not new but looks pretty good.
I did regap the coil to 10 thousands, I wasn't sure exactly what it should be. Every thing did look clean but I'll clean it better tomorrow
I thought a coil is either GOOD or BAD no in between, I assume they can become weak
Thank you for the ideas.

Coils can go weak...but I would change plug first tho and clean contact points on coil and flywheel as said above....your gap should be fine...I have often increased gap over spec for best results...something often overlooked when a PTO wont engage!!
 
Problem solved, runs GREAT. I'm not quite sure if it was the plug, regaping the coil or sanding the contacts but I do know that I turned
my FREE CURB ALERT Lawn Mower into $75.00
Thanks again guys for your help.
 
Problem solved, runs GREAT. I'm not quite sure if it was the plug, regaping the coil or sanding the contacts but I do know that I turned
my FREE CURB ALERT Lawn Mower into $75.00
Thanks again guys for your help.


Happy days!!...win win!
 
Back
Top