Walker Mower Center Gear Box

mchstein

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced an end gear box and a center gear box on my 48" GHS deck. Only one side of the deck is blowing the grass into the discharge chute while the other one is leaving the grass on the lawn. Since the end gear boxes are now interchangeable I can eliminate that as the issue. I have heard that the center gear box can be installed two different ways, as the setup of box looks correct either way it is installed. I am guessing I installed the box backwards and need to do a 180 on it, but wanted to see if anyone can confirm that this will fix the issue. There aren't many other options, but I wanted to save myself some time by reaching out to see if anyone has some input on this issue.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get it up in the air high enough to watch the blades revolving
Pull the pto shaft off and turn it by hand the blades should counter rotate to throw the grass towards the chute
Unfortunately I only have experience with DU & DC decks but flipping the centre PTO should not make any difference to the direction of rotation of the left & right shafts
Standing in front of the deck the left shaft shout be rotating tot towards you & bottom towards the mower & the right top away & bottom towards you .
Did you order the parts direct from Walker or through a shop ?
I have found the customer service at Walker to be exceptionally nice & very helpful
The first call I made I had no idea so they told me where the model and serial numbers were located and what information I would need to get the right information from them.
Second call they told me everything I needed to know, explained how the model numbers go and sent me the information that I needed to make modifications to upgrade the mower to take latter model engine .
I did download all of the deck information but in my files I can not find a GHS deck are you sure of that name ?

mchstein

Forum Newbie
Threads
Get it up in the air high enough to watch the blades revolving
Pull the pto shaft off and turn it by hand the blades should counter rotate to throw the grass towards the chute
Unfortunately I only have experience with DU & DC decks but flipping the centre PTO should not make any difference to the direction of rotation of the left & right shafts
Standing in front of the deck the left shaft shout be rotating tot towards you & bottom towards the mower & the right top away & bottom towards you .
Did you order the parts direct from Walker or through a shop ?
I have found the customer service at Walker to be exceptionally nice & very helpful
The first call I made I had no idea so they told me where the model and serial numbers were located and what information I would need to get the right information from them.
Second call they told me everything I needed to know, explained how the model numbers go and sent me the information that I needed to make modifications to upgrade the mower to take latter model engine .
I did download all of the deck information but in my files I can not find a GHS deck are you sure of that name ?
Thanks for the feedback. I have 3 Walkers and was thinking it was the GHS. The Walker is a T25i with a DC48 deck. I've done plenty of the end gearbox replacements. More recently the boxes have become universal so you can use them on either end, so that was easy to eliminate. I did replace the center gear box for the first time along with one of the end gear boxes. That is when the issue began. I did see online that the center gear boxes can be installed backwards since they too look universal in appearance. I am assuming that may be the problem, but wanted to confirm that if this was the case that it would be what was creating the issue. I got the boxes from the dealer where I bought the mower. Any other input, if there is any after your detailed description, is appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No
Did you check the blade rotation as suggested ?
And the stupid mistake we have all made are the blades on right way round ?
I can not see any way to make the shafts run backwards because the box is cast and flipping left /right would make no difference .
I have not had one apart so do not know if it is possible to transpose the drive bevel gear from the rear where it should be to the front which of course would reverse the gears but the ones I have had open to oil do not look like there would be enough space to do that .

mchstein

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found the issue. It was the center gear box. It can be installed two different ways. I had it upside down. I definitely recommend checking the blade gear rotation while the gear box/PTO assembly is off the mower to make sure the blades will be turning in the correct direction. It would be nice if there was a "TOP" punched into the top of the center gear box.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Found the issue. It was the center gear box. It can be installed two different ways. I had it upside down. I definitely recommend checking the blade gear rotation while the gear box/PTO assembly is off the mower to make sure the blades will be turning in the correct direction. It would be nice if there was a "TOP" punched into the top of the center gear box.
The reason I keep paint pens around for new projects. I tend mark things to make they go back the way they came out. And it is nice to have different colors on hand as some paint make certain ones. Like black on black just don't work well.

mchstein

Forum Newbie
Threads
The reason I keep paint pens around for new projects. I tend mark things to make they go back the way they came out. And it is nice to have different colors on hand as some paint make certain ones. Like black on black just don't work well.
I actually used an orange marker for this little project and it paid off. The orange only applies to the markings. It wasn't political. :)